II. ( lost )

Chapter 22

Wind caressed her face softly, her cheeks tinged pink from walking. Her thick hair was neatly tied into a high ponytail but little pieces had randomly escaped. Her hands were shoved into the pockets of her sweatshirt, her wand in perfect reach as usual.

It had been over two months since Sirius Black had died. His absence was almost unbearable as it left a gaping hole in her heart.

As most students from Hogwarts celebrated their summer holidays in the most delightful ways, Nevaeh had no purpose to do anything at all. She had barely felt any sunlight on her pale skin for all those weeks. The existence of daytime and nighttime had become foreign to her.

  All her time was spent in the small bedroom she used to call home. Far in the highlands of Bulgaria she had wallowed in grief. Her friends from Hogwarts hadn't heard any sign of life from her, no letter, nothing. They knew she was dealing with the loss of her father but they longed to hear from her.

  Spending time back in Bulgaria was peaceful yet difficult as it brought back so many memories but she figured the hardest part was yet to come. She would have to face all those people, her friends, the boy she used to call her boyfriend. She'd have to answer all their questions and probably earn sympathetic or mournful looks from everyone around her.

She wasn't sure why she was returning to Hogwarts but it was the only place that brought her closer to both her mother and father knowing it was the place they met, the place they fell in love with each other.

Slowly the girl approached the crowds on the platform. Parents clamping their arms around their children for one last time before they parted ways. Mothers asking their children whether they brought their toothbrush and pajamas. Joyful laughter and silent sniffing filled the air around her. She wanted to claw at her ears, return to the silence she had been surrounded by for all those weeks.

"Mommy, I forgot to feed Pepper, he must be starving!" a little girl with brown hair said in worry. The girl was small as was the woman standing next to her, probably her mother. They looked so much alike, even the way they moved was nearly synchronized.

"Don't worry, dear, I'll take care of him." the mother said and tucked a strand of hair behind the little girl's ear.

As Nevaeh's full focus was captivated by the mother and daughter it was as if seeing the vague memory of her and her mother together on her first day of school. Going to the Durmstrang institute for the first time was nerve wracking but her mother could calm her down within a second. Seeing her smile, her comforting smile was everything she needed to be brave enough and face her fears.

Her eyes began to water but before they could slip out she turned to her side and stepped into the train as fast as she could. Captivated by her thoughts she crashed into someone. Her fragile knees hit the floor, she was sure a few bruises would appear in a day or two.

"Fuck." Nevaeh cursed, fed up with herself by the smallest bit of clumsiness.

"Better watch where you're going, Black." a deep voice spoke, the person she had crashed into.

She furrowed her eyebrows and jumped up. She was now looking at a broad chest, covered by an expensive looking suit, a perfect fit like it was made especially for that person.

"Like what you see?" the voice spoke again, it sounded so familiar.

She looked up and a scowl formed on her face. Too bad the good looking chest belonged to such a person. Pale blond hair framed his chiseled face.

"Draco." she mumbled underneath her breath. She found herself staring, surprised by his change in appearance. He looked older, more mature and certainly not ugly. But that could not take away the ugliness from the inside.

"Lost your voice?" Draco said with an evident smirk on his face, he was obviously amused by her lack of speech and the surprise on her face by his looks.

"You're in my way, Malfoy." she exaggerated his name with a tone to it that made it sound like it was a disgusting word to say.

"Excuse me? I'm not going anywhere until you apologize." Draco said, still amused with the situation.

"I'm not apologizing for anything, you could have warned me, I'm the one who fell so technically you should be the one apologizing."

They looked into each other's eyes, fiercely. Draco stepped closer, intimidatingly tall next to Nevaeh. She could smell his strong minty cologne and the freshly washed suit.

"Apologize." demanded Draco firmly yet quiet. She had to tilt her head upwards to see his eyes and the demanding look in them.

  "No." Nevaeh dared to say.

Once more Draco took a step forwards, his chest now an inch away from touching her. She inhaled sharply at the sudden movement and nearly stumbled backwards until someone called her name.

"Nev?"