( rock cookies )

Chapter 27

Nevaeh had tried to follow Draco around but it hadn't been to much use. Several times she hoped to catch him in the act and confront him about what he was doing but it was unsuccessful. Hermione Granger had taken it upon herself to see what Nevaeh was up to, so every time Nevaeh was following Draco, Hermione would come around and ruin things for her. Nevaeh would have to hide so that Hermione would lose sight of her. When Hermione would finally be gone Draco would have already disappeared into thin air before Nevaeh could even get the chance to see more.

It was frustrating to say the least but she had to remind herself to keep up with her studies as well, it would be dreadful to fail her classes. To get some extra credit Nevaeh had been given the responsibility by Hagrid to take care of his boarhound, Fang, like she did last year. She didn't fully understand why since he didn't need that much care and Hagrid was almost always around himself to do the job. But she figured Hagrid thought Nevaeh could use the company and honestly he was right.

Hagrid could talk passionately about all the adventures he had been on and all the magical creatures he had come across in his life for hours and Nevaeh could listen to it for hours. He'd get her a cup of tea, some rock cookies and they'd talk for hours. She was happy Hagrid didn't mention any touchy subjects and kept it to entertaining stories alone.

Just like many other afternoons Nevaeh found herself in Hagrid's cabin, sipping on some tea. But this time was different, Hagrid wasn't his usual joyful self. He was down in the deeps to say the least and Nevaeh learned that it was because Aragog was dying. Aragog was an Acromantula living in the forbidden forest, though Nevaeh was curious about every magical creature she knew it was best she never met him in real life knowing he had a taste for human flesh. Aragog was owned by Hagrid and apparently the two were close friends as Hagrid had mentioned.

Nevaeh tried to comfort Hagrid, telling him how Aragog had been lucky to have Hagrid, how he had given him a wonderful life and about all the 'good' memories they had together. When Hagrid had finally calmed down a bit they heard a knock on the door. Nevaeh remained seated, thinking it was simply a student having a question about something when suddenly three all too familiar Gryffindors stepped inside.

"Harry, Ron, Hermione, I would've made some more tea if I knew more company was coming."

"More company?" Harry asked and the others were just as confused until they saw the small brunette sitting on one of the big chair that made her appear even smaller. She looked just as shocked to see the golden trio as they were to see her.

"I was just about to leave—" Nevaeh jumped off the chair and put her cloak back on. But when she was about to pass the golden trio to get to the door Hermione grabbed Nevaeh's wrist.

"Stop this, this can't go on for a second longer. Talk to us." Nevaeh was surprised, Hermione was never really Nevaeh's biggest fan. Nevaeh faced the three, feeling herself tremble looking them in the eyes.

She wanted to jump in their arms and feel safe again but even if she would maybe they wouldn't. She couldn't lose anyone anymore and she couldn't bring others in danger.

"Please, Nevaeh." Harry said, grabbing her hand gently.

"There's nothing to talk about, Harry. I just want to be left alone, I need to be left alone." Nevaeh answered trying to hold back tears that were forming in her clear hazel eyes. Ron was about to say something when Nevaeh turned around and ran away.

But running away was harder that time. Finally having conversations with someone again, someone like Hagrid made her miss her friends even more. Even if the conversations weren't about anything meaningful. Just two eyes seeing her and two ears listening to every word she was saying.

But she could never, it would be selfish. Letting herself fall into the trap with Hagrid was a big enough of a risk. After the evening of her father's death she could never be close to anyone ever again.