( Department of Mysteries )

Chapter 20

  The ride to the Department of Mysteries was short but freezing. The agonisingly cold wind brushed past Nevaeh's skin but all she could think of was her father, hoping he was unharmed. There was no way she could prepare for whatever was coming. A tight knot formed in her stomach, she knew something bad was awaiting them at the Ministry.

  They entered the Department of Mysteries and stepped inside a dark corridor. The walls, ceiling and floor were covered in black tiles. It obviously had a creepy vibe to it and Nevaeh didn't like it at all. She outstretched her wand, preparing herself for the worst.

  The flickering of lights made it even more chilling. Their footsteps were the only sound that broke the uncomfortable silence. In front of them was the elusive door Harry had seen in his dreams.

  "That's it, that's the door I saw." said Harry and Nevaeh swallowed nervously. All this time Ron held her hand, never letting go, safely standing by her side.

  Harry took a deep breath as he pushed the door open. Nevaeh held so tightly onto her wand, her knuckles were turning a white colour.

  They entered an enormous space with nothing but towering shelves covered in small, dusty, glass orbs. There were thousands of them. Harry took the lead and stepped in between the shelves. All of their heads twisted in different directions, looking at the mysterious glass balls.

  Nevaeh shared a look with the redhead besides her but there was no reassuring smile, surely Ron smiled but you could see the worry laced in his eyes.

  It was dark around them but they created small lights with each of their wands. Only their deep breathing was heard as they made their way through the narrow pathways.

  "He should be here," said Harry but Sirius was nowhere to be seen. Either he had been moved or he hadn't been there in the first place.

  "Harry, it's got your name on it." said Neville.

  "My name?" asked Harry blankly and picked up the glass ball from the shelf. He stared at it and listened as if it was whispering him words but the others couldn't hear.

  "Harry!" shrieked Nevaeh when she saw the silhouette of a man approaching them. She held her wand forwards, ready to stun anyone who got to close. The man got closer and it was revealed he was wearing a silver mask and his identity was still unknown.

  "Where's Sirius?" asked Harry.

  "You know you should know the difference between dreams and reality." the man said and removed his mask. A middle aged man appeared and his hair was a pale blond colour. Lucius Malfoy was standing in front of them. "You saw only what the dark lord wanted you to see. Now hand me the prophecy."

  "If you do anything to us, I'll break it."

  A chilling cold cackle broke the silence and a dark woman walked into the light. Her black hair was long and curly, it nearly reached her waist but was messy and dirty. Her eyes were dark and Nevaeh earned shivers looking into them.

  "He knows how to play, itty bitty baby Potter."

  "Bellatrix Lestrange."

  "Neville Longbottom, is it? How's mom and dad?"

  "Better now they're about to be avenged!" Neville scolded but Harry held him back.

  "Now, lets everyone calm down, shall we? All we want is that prophecy."  

  "Why did Voldemort need me to get this?"

  "You dare speak his name, you filthy HALFBLOOD!" snarled Bellatrix. Her face morphed to fury.

   "Prophecies can only be retrieved by those who they are made of, which is lucky for you, really, haven't you always wondered what the reason for your connection with the dark lord was? Why he was unable to kill you when your were only an infant? Did you want to know your secret beyond your scar?"

  "All the answers to your secrets are there, in your hand. All you have to do is give it to me and I can show you everything."

  Nevaeh shivered and turned around when she realised they were now encircled by Death Eaters. All of them appearing with masks.

  "I've waited fourteen years,"

  "I know."

  "I guess I can wait a little longer, NOW!"

  A jolt of light shot towards the death eater in front of Nevaeh and it hit him in the chest. She began running and unwillingly led go of Ron's hand.

  "RUN!" Nevaeh could hear Harry shouting but was too busy with escaping a death eater behind her. She held her breath and ran behind one of the shelves.

  "Stupefy!" she screamed and the death eater hit one of the shelves, it fell and the glass balls crashed on the floor. She gasped as she slowly saw that all the shelves were starting to collapse and coming her way.

  She continued running, trying not to look back or she could be possibly buried in shattered glass orbs. She turned around the corner of a shelf and bumped against someone. She fell onto her knees and looked up, defensively holding her wand out but was glad to find out it was Neville. He pulled her to stand and she realised the others were there too.

  Sighing she found her way to Ron's side and held his arm, sharing a look with him, their faces were both very pale but they didn't give up, instead the adrenaline rushed through their veins.

  "RUN!" Harry shouted once again and they did, they ran towards the nearest exit they could find. Meanwhile behind them the glass balls shattered into a million pieces, breaking on the floor. The crashing sound made Nevaeh want to claw at her ears but there was no time.

They ran until they reached a door. Without thinking they pushed it open and ran inside. But their hearts skipped a beat when they fell from sixty feet high and stopped midair, floating an inch above the floor. They didn't need to look to know it was Hermione who saved them from a painful fall.

"Department of Mysteries, they got that bit right." mumbled Ron.

Nevaeh sighed in relief and scrambled to her feet. She brushed the dust of her legs but was distracted when she heard strange whispers in the room.

An archway stood in the middle of the room. From within came the whispers, quiet voices calling for someone. She squinted her eyes together and stepped closer.

"Nev, are you ok?" asked Ron from behind. Nevaeh didn't realize Ron asked a question, her full attention to the strange voices.

"What are they saying?" asked Nevaeh.

"What?" asked Ron.

"The voices, can you tell what they're saying?" added Harry. Nevaeh cocked her head to the side and looked into Harry's eyes.

"There aren't any voices, Harry. Let's get out of here." said Hermione.

"I hear them too." said Luna.

"Harry, it's just an empty archway. Please, Harry." begged Hermione.

"Get behind me!" ordered Harry. Nevaeh grabbed her wand and jumped behind Harry. Ron found his way to his girlfriend and stood in front of her in a protective manner.

Then all of the sudden black cloaks surrounded them as they were pulled away from each other. Nevaeh could feel two hands forcefully grabbing ahold of her. A death eater held her trapped in his hands.