( Hogsmeade )

Chapter 28

Snow had covered the grounds of Hogwarts. From inside the castle Nevaeh watched the flakes, silver and small falling obliquely against the window. It was a calming sight from inside but the world outside was dangerously cold.

Students were leaving for their trip to Hogsmeade, even Nevaeh decided to get out for once. All she ever did lately was sit in her room to study or roam around the library to get some new books for herself.

Going to Hogsmeade was a great opportunity for Nevaeh to get a new quill. Her old one had magically disappeared after a long study session in the library. Lavender was happy to borrow her one in return for some inside information on Ronald Weasley himself but Nevaeh had enough of that and now needed her own quill back. She couldn't keep reminiscing memories of Ron because it only made it harder for her to stay away.

She changed into her winter robes and wrapped a thick scarf around her neck, one Hermione had gotten her last Christmas when everything was so different. After putting on some gloves she got outside.

The cold wind hit her in the face and her cheeks instantly turned a light shade of red. It had been a while since she stepped a foot outside the castle but it felt refreshingly good.

The walk to Hogsmeade was peaceful and when she got there the small village was roaming with Hogwarts students. Of course she had to bump into Draco, he was in such a hurry that he nearly pushed Nevaeh to the ground. After calling each other some profanities, Nevaeh groaned in annoyance and watched the blond Slytherin barge into the Three Broomsticks Inn. Cursing to herself she went on with her mission.

It didn't take her long to find Scrivenshaft's Quill shop, a small shop with all sorts of stationary and quills. She found a beautiful long black quill, it was quite the expense but Nevaeh found it worthy of it's price. She didn't need anything else and decided to walk around outside for a while.

"Nev? I haven't seen you in a while."

Nevaeh turned around quickly, grasping the wand in her pocket as a reflex. Two brown eyes looked up two her, cheeks glowing red from the cold air. Lucy her hair had grown to over her shoulders and it suited her beautifully. Nevaeh smiled without noticing and it was possibly the best feeling in a long time.

"Lucy, hey." was all Nevaeh could say, feeling guilty for not having said anything to the girl but also feeling uncomfortable being around anyone she still cared about so much because of fear.

"Are you-" Lucy couldn't finish her sentence when they could hear a girl screaming out of fear. They shared a brief look and each ran to the source of the scream as fast as possible.

"I warned her, I warned her not to touch it."

Nevaeh and Lucy found two Gryffindor girls, one shivering in fear and the other laying on the cold snow. All of the sudden the girl laying down shot in the air, levitating with her legs and arms spread to the side. Her mouth was wide open as if she was screaming but no sound came out. It was like something possessed her.

Nevaeh had grabbed her wand and held it in front of her without realizing, pure instinct in times of danger. When the girl suddenly seemed to fall down again Nevaeh just in time made sure the girl didn't hit her head too hard on the ground by using her wand.

"What happened?" Hermione asked. Nevaeh became aware of the presence behind her, the golden trio stood behind Lucy and Nevaeh with wide eyes.

"I don't know, she just- she just-" Lucy muttered, unable to form and finish a sentence.

Nevaeh's eyes searched the ground when she saw a necklace laying on a piece of wrapping. It looked beautiful and expensive but Nevaeh knew the appearance was deceptive.

"It has to be cursed, the necklace." Nevaeh said, nearly as quiet as a whisper but just loud enough for the others to hear.

"And I wouldn't touch it if I were yeh." Hagrid muttered "Only the wrappings are to be touched."

So that's what Nevaeh did, she carefully wrapped the wrappings around the necklace and picked it up without touching the piece of jewelry. She could feel how closely the golden trio was watching her every move and how Ron stood only a few inches behind her.

Why was it that if something bad happened the golden trio would always be there to see it happen?