chapter 14

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

"Ms. Parker, so we meet again." I look over by the door and there she stands—Barbara, "And in a bathroom nonetheless." She smiles and strides over my way. I swallow loudly and turn back to look in the mirror. I start to feel as the sweat beads start forming on my forehead as my heart raced a million miles a minute.

"How is everything?" She questions as she takes out her lipstick, pops the top off and starts to apply it.

"Uh-uh everything's good." I stammer.

"That's good." I see a ghost of smile playing on her lips. Then all too abruptly she turns towards me.

"Look now that you're right here I just want to apologize about the last time I saw you. I was being unreasonable making you quit. I know you have to make a living too and I honestly just wasn't thinking straight. I really loved Justin and he can make a girl get a bit crazy." She chuckles lowly.

"I understand." I nod. "I forgive you, though I should be the one apologizing. What I did was much worse and I should really be ashamed." And I should. I really should, but the fact of the matter was I didn't and why I felt the need to say all of that was lost on me. Maybe the guilt and realization now that I knew she wasn't evil with some sort of vendetta was finally starting to sink in? Maybe

"It's fine; I mean it's not fine that you were my fiancé's mistress, but fine as in I've moved on."

I smile not being able to think of anything else to say which if my history of not saying the right thing was anything then it was a good thing in my mind because I'd probably take us back twenty steps after we'd just taken ten forward. This was obviously good; we were finally clearing the tension filled air that had surrounded us for what felt like forever now.

"Anyway I've gotta get back to my seat the festivities are about to begin" She glances in the mirror one last time.

"By the way your dress is gorgeous."

"Thanks Justin-" I pause because I remember we were still teetering in between; we weren't in a friendship zone. More like limbo I didn't know if it was alright to mention Justin

She laughs, "It's alright to say his name Naomi. He got it for you, it fits you well he has great taste. Later hun."

After a few more minutes of sulking and trying to come to grips with what just happened with Barbara in the bathroom I exit and make my way to the table to join everyone else.

"If I could ask you all to please take your seats the main event is just moments from beginning." I hear the MC call out over the mic. My feet start to move quicker to make it back

"There you are, I was just about to come look for you." Justin says as I take a seat at the table. I look around and I only see two other familiar faces and those were Trevor and Logan's. The rest I'm sure were friends or colleagues of Justin's. I couldn't be bothered to figure out I was still thinking about the bathroom "Are you alright? You were gone for a while."

"I'm fine just a little sick." I trail off hoping he'd get my subtle hint, though it was a lie.

"Gotcha." He says with an easy smile bringing my forehead to his lips leaving a chaste kiss.