chapter 16

.・。.・゜.・゜・。.

"Mom, w–what are you doing here?" I stumble over my words and my feet as I make my way towards the elevator leaving Justin to stand there in his spot. I was in complete and utter shock. My mother was here in New York City, in my house the one I shared with my boyfriend—a boyfriend she had no idea about—how would I ever begin to explain this?

"Are those really the first words you want to say to your mother you haven't seen or spoken to in months?" She retorts before singlehandedly snatching me into her embrace. It catches me off guard, but within seconds I lean into her and then I'm lost in her smell and hold. I hadn't realized it'd been so long since I've seen or spoken to her.

Our hug is cut short when the elevator dings and Logan walks off. "I figured you'd find it. He took over the entire floor so it's kind of hard to get lost." She sneers. That's when I quickly realize that of course Logan had something to do with this–with my mother being all the way across the country. She had called her maybe even told her everything that she knew thus far or what she thought she knew.

"Logan is the reason you're here isn't she?" I look back and forth from my mother to Logan. They don't have to say anything when both their expressions say it all. I'm livid, but before I can really get heated it's as if Justin is a mind reader or maybe my body language says what I'm not–he strides over to my side and pulls me into him.

"Of course initially Logan was the reason, but I really have missed you darling and even if you weren't doing it on purpose we still haven't spoken in so long." She frowns

"Well you ladies can come on in, get comfortable until the other guests arrive." Justin chimes in trying to lighten the mood. "Naomi can I speak with you in the kitchen, now."

My head droops and I silently trail behind him leaving my mother and Logan in the foyer to talk amongst themselves.

"Look I know what you're going to say." I start when we've barely made it to the kitchen. I was trying to kill the fuse on this entire situation before it really blew up.

"Oh really and what's that?" He sounds irritated and with me nonetheless. What have I done?

"Ok I don't. But if you're going to yell at me can we at least not do it in front of company or at all. I already feel like shit Justin and somehow knowing the real reason my mom is here has undoubtedly made it worse." And now tears prick. I really was on an emotional roller coaster that I just wanted off of at this point.

"Just—" He lets out a deep sigh.

"Just talk to your mother and tell her. I had no idea that you haven't been keeping in contact with her." He doesn't say anything else and he doesn't leave room for me to either as he walks off.

He was disappointed in me

...but then again who wasn't these days?

Once I've recollected myself. Meaning cried til I couldn't anymore. I walk back into the foyer where Justin, Logan and my mother are conversing amongst each other with wine glasses in their hands.

I clear my throat to get their attention and they all look my way. "Can I speak with you mom?" I ask calling her out of the trio. "Of course sweetie." She pivots on her heel and strides over to where I am. We walk back out and make our way into the kitchen