Chapter 21 Part 1:A Kept Promise

A/N

Thank you for 10k+ reads overall owo I never thought that I would even get anywhere near this far hah-- 

Btw, this chapter will be a half chapter because I feel like this part needs a little more space in itself! So sorry for the shortness compared to the normal chapters!

Thanks again guys~

•••

Y/N's POV

I patiently sat in the carriage, waiting for Arthur's return.. But there had been no sign of him for a good 5 minutes now. He never usually takes this long.

"Birchmore?"

"Yes milady?"

"Can you see Arthur anywhere?"

"Unfortunately no... If he doesn't return soon, we'll have to leave."

"I know..." I gulped as I kept staring out of the window, "Arthur where are you..."

Suddenly I heard a loud shout, the voice belonging to Birchmore.. My heart raced in worry.

"B-Birchmore..?"

"Milady!" He croaked, "Get out- g-Get out and- ahh-- RUN!! DO NOT LOOK BACK!"

I immediately did as he said and jumped out of the carriage and ran. And just as Birchmore had told me to do, I did not look back.

I had 100% faith in all of my servants, and I believe in everything they say. I also believe that they'll survive everything they could possibly go through... That was, until yesterday. Arthur made me worried sick, and I was once again worried, for Arthur and Birchmore.

I ran down the path and saw the exit out of the woods, but someone in a shady hooded cloak stood in my way. I tried to dodge them, but whichever way I went another one of them appeared. Soon, I was surrounded in a circle.

One stood directly in front of her, and Y/N could now see that the hooded person was someone much too familiar to her liking.

"Nice to see you again, Miss Y/N."

•••

Ciel's POV

Elizabeth sat down at my desk, opposite me her head tilted slightly, confused and curious.

"What did you want to tell me Ciel?"

I frowned. I was currently glaring down at the table, still pondering as to whether this was the right thing to do.

After a few moments, I let out a deep sigh and looked up at Elizabeth, meeting eye contact with her. She seemed a little worried for me, but kept silent.

"Elizabeth, I... I've been having second thoughts about our engagement."

She stared at me, unable to comprehend what I just said. I could tell she wasn't going to take it well...

"I still love you Elizabeth," I continued, "but not in the way you would want me to... I feel uncomfortable forcing myself to keep this mask on for you. I believe that you deserve to know the truth."

"...since when did you decide to tell me this?" She said in a quiet voice, much different from her usual peppy tone, "wh-what makes you uncomfortable..? I don't understand..."

"I... I always loved you as family, and I will continue to do so. This.. This engagement, from the beginning, it was originally to keep noble blood, noble. I'm sure you know that too," I carefully dodged her question, "We were only mere children when our future was planned. It was not we whom had decided on our marriage. It's only the truth."

"What was the trigger? If it was something I did, I can change it for you Ciel!"

"No, Elizabeth-"

"Anything, I'll do anything for you Ciel! Did I make you unhappy? Did I do something wrong? I'll make it right, I will!"

I suddenly stood up, looking at Elizabeth firmly.

"Lizzy! Lizzy... It wasn't anything you did okay? You did nothing wrong! It's just my decision, I just can't do this anymore. I'm just being honest with you, and myself. You'll find someone better than me. Someone who will love you back for real. Someone who will return your kind, warm, and loving feelings. I'm doing this for your sake don't you see!" I sat back down, running a hand through my hair, "So you won't get hurt... I don't want to hurt you."

"And you don't think I'm hurt now Ciel?!" She screamed, tears streaming down her face, "So you were pretending, all this time... All this time it was fake?!"

"You still don't get it-" I raised my voice a little louder, "the pain you could go through later, it's worse than this... Haven't you even felt an ounce of loneliness whilst being with me? Haven't you felt hurt already by my neglection? I'm putting an end to it now, so you don't have to suffer anymore."

Elizabeth stopped. She stopped and stared at me, silent tears still dripping from her eyes.

"It's someone else, isn't it?"

"What-"

"Who is it?"

I opened my mouth, but was still unsure as to what I should say.

"I said, who is it?" She said, sternly.

She caught up fast.

"Y/N."

"Y/N..?"

I nodded, helplessly. It was the truth.

"Have you betrayed me during our engagement Ciel?"

"Of course not! Y/N and I... We're only friends at the moment... What kind of person do you take me for? I need closure to start something new, and that's what I'm asking for."

"... I could slap you right now Ciel. But I won't, because I don't want to hurt you," she whispered, "but I take you as a good person Ciel. I won't be angry anymore."

I looked at her, confused. This was not the way I had thought things would turn out.

"I think you're better off with Y/N. I remember that time years ago, when I interrupted your meeting with her, and she felt so out of place, that she left. I remember it so clearly. And I remember telling you that I'd love you no matter what," she paused before continuing," and I will. I can see Y/N likes you too. But she's always held it in when I'm around, and knowing her, she probably does it when I'm not around too."

"She... She does?"

"Yes Ciel. And now that I think about it, this 'breaking off the engagement' thing, must be really hard on you..." She pitifully mumbled, shaking her head, "but it is the right way to go if you want to follow your heart..."

"Lizzy-"

She got up and looked down to the floor and smiled, "That's all I really wanted you to do... To follow your heart. As cliche as it sounds, I think it's right. If you love Y/N, then you should go and see if she loves you back. She's been such a good friend all these years, to me, and to you. And besides, I can picture you two as a very cute couple~!"

I stood up again and walked around to desk to stand beside her.

"Thank you Lizzy. Thank you for everything."

She looked up at me and grinned, the tears that she cried no longer leaving her eyes, "I did say I'd love you no matter what. And I do Ciel."

I opened my arms to her, and she immediately threw herself into them, and like that, we silently stood there.

"Thank you Elizabeth."

•••

A/N

That's the first half of this chapter~