Chapter 1

''Get up, you can do much more than that.” Yelling at the fourteen year-old boy, satisfaction washed over me as I saw Ron plant his elbows to the ground to lift himself up. He might be a little weak but his determination made up for the lack of skills.

 ''I'm tired," He pants. "Break?” He took a breath in between words. His brown hair sticking to his forehead, same with the black t-shirt he was wearing, the only difference is the presence of mud in his t-shirt. Leaning his whole body on a tree, he took the time to catch his breath. Clearly, the little kiddo was exhausted.

''Hey Nathalie, make sure you bring my bro home in one piece.” A voice that belongs to one of my best friend, and also one of the pack warriors, appeared out of nowhere and stopped beside me. I tilted my head to get a good look at him, my five foot five not matching his five foot eleven.

Ron was the exact replica of his older brother Zach, from the hair to their sparkling blue green eyes, chiseled jaw, almost perfectly shaped lips, and we shouldn’t even mention their body. He’s my best friend and talking about his good looks just makes me shuffle to my feet in awkwardness. Suffice to say, Ron, at such a young age, is a chick magnet.

 No, no. Enough training for today. You can bring him home. I said to Zach through mind link as I stare at Ron who was about to pass out. Remember next Saturday! I won’t tolerate tardiness! I continued.

Feeling the air change into a cold one, I thought of how Ron shouldn’t stay outside any longer and let his sweat dry. “C’mon kid. Go home.” I tilted my head as if saying to go with his brother now. 

''I'm 14!'' He argued.

 ''That won't change anything since I'm older than you.'' I stuck my tongue out at him like a kid. Oh the irony.

"You don't act like one." he laughed before hugging me.

"Hey!" I shouted when I felt the stickiness of my arms. That little dude did this on purpose!

Ron’s laughter echoed through the forest before Zach whispered something to Ron that made him run away, a smile still playing in his face. Zach turned to face me, a grin appeared on his lips. A grin so familiar that an image of that person appeared on top of his but within a millisecond disappeared. The mere thought of the person had me looking around the familiar forest.

He frowned, probably realized what I was thinking. ''You thinking of him again?'' he patted my shoulder in a comforting manner.

''Yeah.'' I sighed heavily while holding the necklace shaped like my wolf, a white fur with a little touch of black on my tail. The feel of the metal in my fingers gave me a sense of comfort that sometimes, not even Zach can give.

I looked up, the sky fast turning into a shade of black as stars still fail to fit in the sky. The darkness soon covered the sky as sadness covered my heart.

''You goin' to the ball?'' Zach interrupted me and my thoughts making me remember about the ball that was held by one of dad's friends, Alpha Gab (short for Gabriel) which is also the Alpha of the strongest pack in the world, while our pack ranked 2nd. The ball was for their son, for him to find his so-called-mate. What can I say? Wolfs are pretty up on their tail when it comes to their mate. It's like the most precious diamond they'd ever have, well, that's what they say.

Personally, I think mates aren’t given by fate. You take your own.

''You really have to remind me?" I said with a hit of annoyance in my voice. I tried so hard to devote my time and mind into helping pack business just to forget about the not-so-special occasion in where many people know me as the Ugly Betty.