Chapter 14

It was very awkward. Everyone in the room felt the heavy atmosphere except-which I assume- is Nathan's girlfriend. He found his mate and even got the guts to bring me his girlfriend while I am in a hospital bed. Nice move bro, nice move.

She was blabbing about wanting another date with him. Even Ron felt awkward. I mean, they were visiting me but at this moment I think I'm the one ruining their time. I only kept chewing the apple given by them.

"You want to ditch this place?" Ron whispered to me, his eyes still focused on the couple. Nathan looked at me and I formed a strained smile. Then if Ron wasn't only 14 years old I would have shuddered in disgust behind the meaning of every boy who hits on a girl but since that wasn't the case, I laughed silently.

"What?" he asked sounding offended. 

"You don't possibly think I'll be the only one who heard it?" I smirked at him. Of course everyone heard it; we're wolves for crying out loud. And then suddenly everyone started to laugh except for her, again. She was too focused on her story than she didn't hear a thing. 

"Are you trying to hit on my best friend?" Zach let out a huff letting out a smile.

"Hey! I'm not talking about that kind of stuff!!" he said shouting and a little bit defensive.

"I know you like me" I smiled widely before laughing again until my back hurts. I inhaled and tried to stop my laughter, and it did caused by the stung on my back. I bit my lip until the pain went away.

I started to pant as the pain slowly faded. I was holding my breath the whole time my back hurts. Zach stood up noticing me and went to fetch the medicine on the cabinet. "The doctor said every time it'll hurt we just have to put on some cream" he said to the couple explaining why he was helping me turn around. I was in a hospital gown, showing my bare back. I removed my hair letting Zach face my whole back body. Ron moved aside as he helped me sit. After a moment I started to feel something sticky and wet on my wound. It doesn't hurt as much as it did in the first place but it still sting. I bit my lip again as I felt a little pain to where his hands was. I was facing the couple as he did this. I was too ashamed that they might get grossed out by the wounds on my back. 

"There, just stay still for.." he looked at the clock "15 minutes" he said as I lay on the bed sideways still facing them but my head was bent.

"Yes dad" I joked and he glared at me in a joking manner. Speaking of time. "Hey Zach, you can go home you know" I said not looking up.

"You don't have to take care of me 24 hours a day"

"I don't but I want to"

"You're starting to act like a mate" the word rolling out of my tongue without any control. Shocked was an understatement when I looked at Nathan. There were emotions I was too scared to look into so I just stood up and went to the comfort room. 

What the heck Nathalie!? You are so screwed! Oh my gosh, what will Zach say? I didn't quite catch his reaction Oh my gosh what would I do!?

'You've hurt him' my wolf said in a sad voice

'Sorry! I didn't know what to do and wait a minute missy! He has hurt us more than we ever did! What was his problem? That was his choice!' I shot back. My wolf tried to say something but the truth she can never cover up.

When I returned Zach and Ron was gone. 

Oh crap!

"Alpha Dan needed him, pack business" he shrugged. I sigh of relief came out of my mouth. I went to pick up the plate with the apple in it before returning to my bed.

"Nate, wouldn't you invite Nathalie to the party?" she said breaking the silence.

"What party?" he asked her. His brows almost met.

She giggled "Haven't your father told you? He was the one who made the decision" she smiled as she let her hands trail the muscle in Nathan's body. He gripped her hand before asking again "What?" seriousness in his tone.

"When you finally announce me as your mate" she giggled again. 

I stopped chewing and stared at the TV in front of me blankly. I was more than shocked. His father? The person who wanted me to live with them the moment they knew was his mate. How could that possibly be? His father knew. His parents knew. Did they know he rejected me? Did they think I wasn't good enough? But his reaction when we first met was... welcoming, excited, happy. Was that gone?

Questions flooded my mind as another word got stuck in my head.

"My best friends' cousin was going to help me" she said in a high pitched voice.

"I know he was a part of this pack once"

"His name was Luke"

There was a sound indicating some glass has been broken. I looked at my hands to see it empty as the plate was shattered on the ground, shocking both of them. 

He's here.