30: The End, Part Two

Spencer

I was in the infirmary when George walked in. He was pale, but thankfully unharmed and I rushed forwards, wrapping my arms around his waist. “When they said you were in the infirmary, I raced over here. Are you okay, you're not hurt are you?” He asked eyeing a white bandage peeking from beneath my shirt. “No, that's nothing. It's Kat.” I said, my eyes watering. It seemed like I'd been crying for days. My nose was runny and I knew if I had a mirror right now my face would be red and splotchy, my eyes blood shot.

He looked around and saw her. She was laying on her stomach, her back covered with a thin sheet of gauze to keep the wound from closing. The doctors checked on her every 10 minutes, keeping track of her pulse, her breathing. She was alive, and she was lucky. The blade had just missed her lung but punctured a kidney. Surgery was done almost immediately on her, repairing the kidney but they'd noticed a problem. Apparently the blade had been poisoned so now, they were trying to find what kind of poison, and hoping there would be an antidote.

So far, no luck. It's been about an hour since she was brought out of surgery, but since there were other people who needed the doctors she had to be in the waiting room, where make-shift rooms were constructed from sheets. The doctors were also afraid to give her sedatives, because there were some poisons that when mixed with morphine caused twice as much damage, but luckily she had stayed unconscious.

There was a sudden burst of activity and the doctors rushed to one of the make-shift rooms, mentioning something about shock. “You, you two need to leave.” A nurse said, rushing over already starting to push us towards the doors. “No, I have to stay, for Kat!” I shouted frantic, but she shook her head sadly. “You're friend will be alright, they've identified the poison and are getting the antidote as we speak. You can come back after we've treated everyone. Now go!” and with that we were forcefully removed from the infirmary.

I wrapped my arms around myself, tucking my face down towards my chest. “Come on,” George mumbled, his arm around my shoulders. “Let's go to the Cafeteria, that's where everyone else is.” So we went and people were quiet, sitting in groups, holding each other and crying softly. Some of the stronger kids were walking through everyone, offering kind words and help. I leaned into George, and he again hugged me. We were at the far side of the cafeteria when the door banged open. And I saw Jayden walk in, only he didn't look quite right. Something was off.

People were moving out of the way, clearing the view and I saw he was crying just before I saw Rae laying in his arms. Her head was tilted back, her skin far too pale and I fought back a scream as he moved nearer. Her lips, I noticed had gone slightly blue in colour. People were quiet, watching as he carried Raeanne's lifeless body through the room and out into the hallway leading to the dorms, towards the rest of the corpses.

My head started swimming as I began to sob, my body racking and George too was crying. I buried my head into his shoulder and his face went into my neck, holding my tightly. I heard the sounds of grief magnify around me. “Sh-she ca-can't be g-g-gone.” I cried, into Georges chest, he only held me tighter. Then Jayden came back out into the Cafeteria crossed the room and exited.

I had a feeling I should follow, so I extricated myself from George, telling him I would be right back and ran out after him.

Jayden

I raced through the cafeteria and out the doors, where I started to run until I found myself in the gymnasium where I'd first started training Rae. Back then, I was a dick to her, and when I started going out with her it was because of the Varn, or rather Taylor. I hadn't known who he was at the time, and when I started getting to know her I sort of fell in love and knowing what the Varn had been planning, I had to break up with her. Which only caused him to become furious. That was when Taylor started dating her.