17 : Pirate Attack!

Sorry it took SOO long for me to write this! Even now it's extremely short! BUT, good news! I've come up with a lot of ideas for the rest of the book and updates should be much more regular now! Hopefully I'll have the next chapter up in a few days and that it'll be super-duper-extra-special-awesomely-long. Please Vote, and Comment! 

~Toryxx

It was official. I absolutely without a doubt hated buses. After mentally checking buses off my mental hate list I sighed heavily and took a deep breath, almost immediately regretting doing so when a burst of puke worthy air filled my nostrils. I almost did exactly that, puke I mean. It was a mixture of stale body odour, a chicken coop and human waist. Judging from the snickering boys two seats ahead I found the culprits. They should be detained or something. No one should be allowed to smell that awful.

Finally the bus came to a stop and I practically launched myself off the damn thing, gulping for air as those same two boys walked past laughing loudly. Morons. Shaking my head I felt an arm touch my waste lightly. Taylor had a hand on me and he too looked a little bit green. I took his hand and tugged him away from the yellow monster. We were supposed to meet here, by 1:00 pm at the latest.

Spencer took my other hand and started to drag me down the street. I went with her willingly because, well it's spencer. If you didn't you might just have a certain rabbit set loose on you. Trust me, that was not something you wanted to hear about. I had a fold of paper, directions actually on how to get to Thistles from anywhere in the city. The joke shop, almost conveniently was right across the street. Of course I'd have to wait until we were at the club a few miles away. Fortunately for me though, I had been practicing with my mind powers for the past week and well, I'd successfully altered a few peoples memories by a slight fraction.

That is all I'd have to do tonight. For now we roamed the store and bought a few items. I was a little reluctant about Cory though, she had a big bag full, as did Blaze and well, they were probably the worst people who could come to a shop like such. I can honestly say I am frightened for my well being.

Change of plans, I thought as I saw a crowd of people entering and exiting the club. Glancing sneakily around I noticed everyone was preoccupied. Cory and Blaze were comparing the different between two brands of itching powder, and Spencer was eyeing the stacks of multicoloured duct tape almost longingly and Taylor was talking to a worker in the store and gesturing wildly. With a great amount of grace I stealthily made my way out of the shop and crossed the street. Almost getting hit by a bike messenger in the process.

While he swore at me I brandished my sword, forgetting that it was in fact not plastic and bared my teeth. I guess this action was more frightening than I'd expected since his expression went speedily from one of anger to one of fright as he scampered away on his bike. I must admit, I felt proud of myself. I adjusted my hat and eye patch and added a coating of dark red lipstain to my lips. This would, hopefully make me unrecognizable. Entering the club I was a little startled by the furocious men barring the entrance, but with a sweet smile they let me step in, but I noticed a motion that suggested they were to keep on eye on me. “It's probably my red hair.” I grumbled and moved steadily further into the room. The music playing was surprisingly upbeat. In fact Paramore was playing. I don't know what I had been expecting. Maybe some sinister piano numbers or screaming. I also didn't expect the place to look so, pleasant. There were friendly paintings on the wall and the colour was a deep blue. The workers had smiles on their faces and a lot of people were dancing on a raised area. It was actually kind of, fun.

I roamed the area, trying to listen to snippets of conversation, when I heard that voice. The one I recognized from the other night. Slipping into a booth behind theirs I crouched out of sight and surveyed a menu. Again, I have to admit I was surprised at the normalcy of it and when the lady came over to ask what I wanted I even ordered. A Poutine. Yum. “When's he supposed to meet us?” The voice sounded irritated and full of authority. The nice waitress came over to fill his coffee and he send her away with the worst manners!

“There he is.” That deep voice grumbled and I heard some shifting in the seat. A tall man, or boy rather was walking towards them. He was in costume, wearing a mask even and glanced at me, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. I ignored this, as if I had better things to do, besides my food was coming. For a moment I almost forgot to listen as the gravy, cheesy mess was melting in my mouth. It had to be the best poutine I'd ever had, and that's saying something.

There were a murmur of greetings and then silence as the new arrival seemed to be preparing his coffee. “How is it all coming along?” The voice of the man who was rude to the waitress said. A pause, then came his reply. “Good enough. We should have her by tonight. I have all the preparations ready.”

“Good. Her gifts, will be of much better use in our hands.” There was a smattering of agreement and light chuckling. “Do not give me that scowl, young one. It's a wonder you're still alive. You had your chance to prove yourself weeks ago and your opinion will not change my mind.”

“Yes, your lordship. To go against the Varn would be the most unwise.” Why do these people sound like they learned english from shakespeare? They speak so formally. I wondered. “Raeanne will be in our power by the stroke of midnight. I assure you.” I froze, gravy soaked french fry falling from my fork onto the plate. Did they just... but I couldn't finish my thought because I was being shoved further into the seat and looked up to see Taylor's face fuming. “What do you think you're doing?” He hissed at me and I scrambled, he had startled me.

“What do you mean?” I asked, feigning innocence.

“Good, we will be waiting.” Said the boss man behind me in the seat and a moment later I watched three people exiting the booth and out the door. My heart rate accelerated in the chest and I stared after them.

“Don't play studid Rae, you know this place is off limits. We could get into so much trouble.” his eyes still blazed angrily. I was, overcome with emotion, fear, anger, sadness and again fear. He misinterpreted the source of my fright and pulled my close to him. “I didn't mean to yell, I just. I'm worried about you Rae.” Damned these tears, I curled into his chest and he wrapped his arms around me.

What he didn't realize is that I was crying because he caught me. I mean, how horrible of a pirate am I? Humiliating enough thinking this just caused me to cry harder and I tried to tell him why I was crying only to come off as a mumbling mess. It took several minutes of stroking my hair to calm me down and then, I was still sniffling.

“I'm such a crap pirate!” I wailed and started crying again. Poor Taylor, I thought as he frantically started to try and calm me down again, thinking he'd done something wrong. It took another fifteen minutes then he was leading me through the club, where he paid for my poutine and brought me outside. Walking down the street until we made it too a bus bench.

“Why are you crying Rae?” He asked, his voice pained and I sniffled againm using the hankercheif George had stuffed into my pocket. My answer was muffled and it was a mumbling mess. “Rae.”

“I'm a horrible PIRATE!” I said, with emphasis on the pirate. “You caught me sneaking off! How sucky is that!” Then he started laughing. Like really hard laughing. He literally fell on the ground and started rolling on the ground. This sobered me up almost immediately and I got mad. “You're laughing? Oh my horseshoe!” I rose from the bench and started walking off. He trailed after me, still laughing and caught my arm.

I gave him time to catch his breath and stood there, hip cocked toe tapping subconciously. He stopped laughing and took in my stony expression. “Come on Rae. Who cries about being non stealthy?” This just made me that much more angry.