15 : What Just Happened?

“Raeanne” a sing song voice floated around. I groaned and tried swatting it away. “wakey, wakey eggs and bakey!” I sat up eyes widening. “Did you just say... bacon?” I asked thinking about the magical-ness. My mouth started watering just thinking about it.

I shot out of bed and raced down the hallway to the bathroom to shower and in under five minutes I was dressed with my hair wild and eyes wide pulling Spencer out of the House and dragging her down pathway until we reached the cafeteria where I could smell the wonderfulness. I got a plate of bacon. I had to bribe the lunch ladies.

We sat at our usual table, eating and Spencer mostly had her mouth hanging open while she looked at me. I finished my bacon and patted my tummy affectionately. “You- you just ate a plate full of bacon” she looked at her watch “in less than ten minutes!” Her eyes were filled with awe and I shrugged like it was no big deal.

That used to be my everyday. It was a wonder I wasn't three hundred pounds.

We were joined by Taylor and Cory soon who greeted us and eyed my plate, which was pretty much covered in grease, kind of disgusting. Then some people walked by, complaining about the cafeteria being out of bacon and I burst out laughing, like the clutching your stomach and inhale sharply trying to get your breath back only to laugh that much harder.

Spencer laughed too at me and soon she was also in a fit of hysterics. It took nearly half an hour for the laughter to die down. “I assume that,” Cory said, pointing to me. “Is the reason there is no bacon left?” I bit my lip and smiled sheepishly. She just shook her head in amusement.

It was saturday morning, and also the day before halloween. Spencer and I were to pick up our costumes from George by six o'clock on the dot. He was very specific with the time. I still had no idea what my costume was, and I was a little it wary to find out. After all George could be quite eccentric at times.

After breakfast I broke apart from the group, wanting some alone time. It's like I had been constantly with other people and I was craving the peace of being alone. Somehow I ended up in the trees. The sun filtering through the leaves, tracing patterns onto my skin. It was rejuvenating. Everything was so quiet, and I was getting restless. The wind began to pick up, to my doing of course, and I watched it pluck some of the leaves from their branches.

There was a strange tint to the air, not a visible one more like the sound was off. I listened more careful and could hear voices carrying on the wind. The words stretched and were not quite discernible so I moved closer, going against the wind as quietly as I could. A few minutes later I found a set of buses and hit carefully, trying not to rustle leaves as I heard the voices loud, clear and completely unrecognizable.

“- Varn is not going to be happy about this.” Said a deep voice, sounding low and dangerous. “You don't think I know that? Huh? It's my ass on the line here.” The second voice was slightly less deep but filled with anger and frustration. What could they be talking about? I wondered.

“We need the girl. Seeing as you failed to get her by choice, force will be necessary.” The fist voice growled. Getting annoyed by the seconds petulant tone. The wind kept on whistling, completely unaware of what was happening. Hell, I couldn't understand half of it, and even then all I could really discern had to do with this Varn, person and that they wanted a girl who had not gone along with whatever they were planning. This girl was in trouble and I had to find out who.

“I'll do whatever it takes.” The second voice mumbled now, a little anxiously. “Good, the Varn will not be impressed with the rate things are moving. Try talking to the girl again, get her to reconsider joining us. After all, it would mean the destruction of these humans that much quicker.” My eyes widened and I almost gasped. The man had practically spat out the word human like it was some sort of taboo. Something disgusting and unnatural. Like cockroaches or, rabbits.