21 : Kat's Debut

Pain. That's all I could register. Not even the humming of conversation around me was enough to block out the pain emenating from the small drip landing on my forehead. I tried in vain to concentrate on anything, other than the thump and splash of the water landing. There were pools over my eyes, and I couldn't open them without getting water in them.

If only it weren't for the bindings. They were made of the sythetic material that somehow blocked my abilities. I was crying, silently thank goodness. I also thanked my lucky stars for the water pooling around my eyes. My tears went unnoticed. As I lay there, body aching my head pouding I could make out snatches of conversation. Just words that didn't make much sense upon first hearing it. “Two days, mushrooms and extra cheese” and some random numbers. Either they were referring to an upcoming game and deliberating on what kind of toppings they wanted on pizza or they were conversing casually about whatever bet's they'd made while ordering lunch.

Either which, I was not impressed. I was bone tired and honestly, I felt like I was going to break. I wanted to beg them to let me loose. I wanted to collapse from exhastion but it was impossible. I'd been here for a while, more than a day judging by the stiffness I could feel all over. Then, I don't know what warranted it, but the dripped stopped. Altogether it stopped. I wanted to cry with releif. My limbs were being unbound and with my eyes slitted open I realized I was being carried.

Sqinting through my lids I saw a stony unfamilar face staring straight ahead, lips pursed and I could faintly hear shouting from down the way, then I succombed to the darkness that I so desperately craved.

Spencer

Three days had passed since I left the institute. Three days I have been looking for someone I have never met. Three days, and I still have no idea what I'm going to do. Rae could be in so much trouble right now. Danger. Maybe even dead. No, I'd know if she were dead. The Reader said it was one of my gifts. I wouldn't know how, or what, but I would know when. The moment she died, the moment anyone I had a connection to died I would feel it.

It explains the hallow ache I'd felt when my mother passed that day in the hospital. She'd gotten the flu, her temperature flying above 104. Never made it through the day she was admitted. Somehow, it made things harder. When I thought about her I still feel the ache racking its way through me and I am overcome with it's force. I would wish this gift upon no one. Although for now, I am greatly. I can feel Rae still holding on. I only hope the Reader was right.

I was in a third town. Moving west slowly. Always dressed in shadows. The powers suit on under all of my clothes. Sturdy light boots that could withstand the weight of a ton pressing down on it. The metal also enhanced my abilities, full of minerals which helped me keep my strength when I needed it most. Dark pants, jeans mostly that were tighter than usually considering the extra material of the suit and a t-shirt with a long jacket.

I found the sturdy belt much more useful, expecially when I secured a few weapons on me. A knife, with a wickedly curved end and a silvering white coloured blade. It was a powerful weapon, infused with the forces of the wind. Gena had given it to me, said I would need it more than she. I sent a silent thanks towards her and started to navigate my way through the crowded bar.

Men and women danced, gyrating against one another and I noticed with a little nausea two girls making out. You could see their tongues and everything. I have nothing against two girls or two guys being together, but I had a strong belief that anything above a kiss lasting over three seconds should be kept private. So, moving to the other side of the bar, I snagged a stool a burly man wearing a fleece plaid shirt had just vacated. The bar tender was a girl, probably not much older than myself. She had mocha coloured skin and warm brown eyes. Her hair, was a curly mass that I generally associated with black people.