[27] Dark Side

Dedicated to AwesomelyBlaze for the gorgeous Story Card on the side, thank you!

--

(Unedited)

There's a place that I know,

It's not pretty there,

And few have ever gone.

If I show it to you now,

Will it make you run away?

Or will you stay?

~Dark Side- Kelly Clarkson

      "Okay, maybe prostitute's an exaggeration," Avril admitted after a moment. "I didn't walk street corners. It was more like fake girlfriend with benefits," she said quietly. Not quietly enough, apparently, because a second later the door slammed open.

      "What?" Blake demanded, stalking into the room. He kicked the door shut, keeping his eyes on Avril the whole time.

      "What are you doing here?" I asked as Avril let out a string of curses. Worst timing ever. And of all people, it was Blake. I mean, yeah, he was one of the few people who knew about Avril, but I didn't think he popped in for visits, or something.

      "He's stalking me," Avril told him flatly, without a hint of amusement anywhere on her face.

      Blake, on the other hand, looked like he was a couple seconds from cracking up. "I can't stalk you. You haven't gone anywhere in the past week."

      "Stalking is obsessively attempting to communicate with someone who does not wish to communicate with you. So yes, your actions are stalking," Avril corrected.

      Blake simply sighed and shook his head in response, admitting defeat. "So," he said, attempting a casual tone that failed miserably. "Fake girlfriend?"

      Instantly the little humor left in the room evaporated, leaving only a cold hard silence behind.

      Avril shook her head. "Forget it."

      He raised an eyebrow, then narrowed his eyes. "So should I tell Owen it was rape?"

      "He told you too?" she demanded, eye twitching, looking like she was ready to kill someone. Violently. Probably Owen.

      "You know Owen too?" I asked at the same time.

      "I'm the boyfriend, remember?" Blake said, kind of replying to both the questions at the same time. Avril flinched at his answer. "What did he do?" he asked, watching Avril. I blinked at his focused, almost angry expression. Since when did Blake care so much? And why?

      "Does it matter?" Avril asked quietly, so quietly I almost didn't hear her despite it being dead silent in the room.

      "Yeah!" Blake and I exclaimed at the same time. We exchanged a look, then both turned to glare at Avril with an 'Are you stupid?' look. I still didn't know why Blake cared, or was even still here, but if it helped convince Avril to tell... And if it didn't, I could always just throw him out. Well, attempt to throw him out, since he was like, half a foot taller than me and probably a lot stronger too.

      "Why do you care?" Avril demanded, saving me from having to ask Blake the question myself.

      He shrugged. "Why can't I?"