[12] Thunder

Dedicated to WritingChey for the awesome cover on the side. Thank you so much! -->

--

I tried to read between the lines,

I tried to look in your eyes.

I want a simple explanation,

For what I'm feeling inside.

I gotta find a way out,

Maybe there's a way out.

~Thunder- Boys Like Girls

      "You have got to be shitting me." Those were the first words out of my mouth in response to the lady's request. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Brett's jaw drop.

      "Did Raine just swear?" He whispered loudly to Clark, who chuckled, but otherwise didn't reply. "Holy hot hell, she did."

      "No, is something wrong?" The lady asked confused, glancing between all of us, looking slightly worried. Before I could respond, Kallie interrupted.

      "C'mon, Raine, it's just a picture. Please? For me?" She looked at me with her pleading eyes and I immediately turned away.

      "I'm not that bad, am I, Sunshine?" Kaden joked.

      I rolled my eyes. "No, I guess not," I paused and watched as an expression of surprise crossed everyone's face. "You're worse," I finished, even though I didn't really, really mean it.

      Brett coughed and muttered something under his breath that sounded like 'you just got burned by a girl'.

      "Please, Raine, please? Just one photo," Kallie insisted. I looked at her, than around the room. The woman and Annabelle were smiling at me encouragingly, Clark had an amused look on his face, Brett had the same look as Clark, Kallie had on her puppy-dog, pleading eyes, and Kaden, Kaden had his eyebrows raised as if to say 'I dare you'. I stopped and glared at him slightly, which started a mini-stare down. His mouth twitched, as if holding back a smirk, like he was trying to keep his face neutral and completely expressionless.

      "Okay, fine," I huffed and narrowed my eyes at Kaden. I stalked over and gingerly sat down on his lap. "You better not try anything." I warned him as the lady walked back to the camera. Kaden took one look at my expression and started laughing. Ugh, seriously? It's not funny! I sighed in annoyance and glares at him.

      "It looks to fake," said the woman from behind the camera. Most of her face was blocked, but you could see the faint signs of a frown.

      "Let me take care of that," Kallie replied. She got up and marched over to us. Kallie caught me completely off guard. I didn't realize what she was doing until it was too late. Kallie gave me a hard shove, which forced me to grab onto Kaden to keep from toppling over the side of the couch. I'm not sure if it was reflex or what, but Kaden also looped an arm around my waist to help me get back up.

      "You okay?" He asked, inspecting me closely as if I had actually hit the ground.

      "I'm fine," I replied, trying to calm down my pounding heart. A kind of weird feeling seeped through me body. It was like the feeling I had before going in the roller coaster. It was the kind of tingly, nervous feeling that made your stomach clench and your palms sweat. You know that feeling? Yeah, for some reason, I could feel it spreading through my body as Kaden stared at me; eyes alight with worry and just a bit of amusement. That's when I heard the click of the camera go off.

      I quickly looked away and slid off his lap, out of his grip. Oh gods. What the Watson had that been? Did I just stare into Kaden's eyes like some kind of cheesy Hollywood movie? What is wrong with me? I hate him, or at least don't really like him. I think Vegas really does put something weird in their water.

      "That turned out well! You two make a good couple!" The lady exclaimed, gesturing to Kaden and me as she walked out from behind the camera. I could feel my cheeks burning and I swear my jaw hit the ground.

      "Um, w-we're not t-together," I stammered. I could hear Kallie giggling and resisted the urge to turn and glare at her. Seriously? I figured that the lady would've figured that out with how reluctant I had been to sit on his lap.

      The lady's brow furrowed almost as if she was confused, but then it straightened out again. "Oh, well, you'd make a good couple," she said, leading us to the photo pick-up booth thing-y.

      "Even strangers think you and Kaden would make a good couple," Kallie whispered to me as we followed the woman.

      I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Why do you want Kaden and me to get together so badly?" I asked her quietly.

      Kallie smiled mysteriously. "I have my reasons," she responded as we arrived at the booth.

      "I hope you enjoy your photos," the lady told us before heading back to the picture taking area. The guy sitting behind the booth handed an example photo to Kallie and we all gathered around to get a closer look. The Red Carpet ones had turned out well, and they actually looked like the real thing.

      The ones on the couch, however, they hadn't turned out bad or anything, in fact, I think they were better than the Red Carpet pictures, but it just made me feel awkward when I looked at it. Annabelle and Clark were standing behind the couch, trying to keep a straight face; Kallie had a slightly smug look on her face and was whispering to Brett, who had leaned down so he could hear her. Kaden and I were looking at each other, my hand still holding onto a fistful of his jacket and his arm still looped around me. It almost looked like we were... together.

      Kallie grinned slyly at me. "I think I like the couch one," I swear I'm best friends with the devil.

      She's just evil.

      "Hmm, I think I like it too," Brett agreed, also shooting a smile that mimicked Kallie's at me. I narrowed my eyes and glared at him, which caused him to laugh.

      Suddenly, Kallie's eyes lit up. "Ooh, let's get key chains! They come in six, so everyone will have one!" She exclaimed, beaming. I bit back a groan and stayed silent. "Can we get a set of keychains and six copies of the photo?"

      "They'll be ready in an hour. May I have your name please?" The guy working at the booth asked. Kallie told him that and lead us out.

      "I need to talk to Raine and Annabelle, so shoo," she instructed to the boys. They rolled their eyes, but walked away, heading to the hot dog stand. Figures. Kallie grabbed Annabelle's arm in one hand and mine in the other -a lot like she had when she was dragging us to the roller coaster line- and pulled us to a bench off to the side of the park, in the shade of a large tree. There wasn't anyone there; there really hadn't been many people in the amusement park, just little kids and their parents.

      Kallie turned to me. "Alright, what is going on with you and my brother?" She demanded.

      "Nothing!" I exclaimed, knowing it was a lie. I didn't like lying to Kallie, but I really didn't want to explain the Jared situation to her. I was trying to forget, and that wouldn't help.

      Kallie narrowed her eyes at me. "Raine, do you like him?" She asked. Oh gods, I don't like where this is going. Why does everyone think that something is going on with Kaden and me? Yes, I guess there is something, but it's all in the past, it doesn't really mean anything. I don't like him. Isn't that obvious?

      "No!" I all but yelled, earning us some odd looks from passing strangers.

      "You know I can tell when you're lying, right?" Kallie stated. I don't get why she's so persistent with this. It's her brother, for god's sake! If we ever did get together and broke up, we probably wouldn't be able to spend time around each other, thus making Kallie have to choose. Not to mention it might be awkward for her. I really don't get why she wants us to get together. I'm certain that if we did get together, we'd break up.

      "I'm not lying! I don't like him! Besides, even if I did, and I don't, it wouldn't matter. He's Kaden Fleming. The only time he's ever been with a girl for longer than two weeks was when he was five and that's because he got married in a sandpit!" I exclaimed, remembering what Kaden had told me last night.

      "Raine, that girl was you," Kallie pointed out.

      "I know that! It's really weird that I accepted, but I know-"

      "He followed you around for almost a month until you agreed. Don't you remember?" Kallie asked, an expression of amusement crossing her used-to-be serious face.

      "Nope, sorry, I don't remember things such as getting married in a sandpit. Anyway that's not the point-"

      Before I could finish, Kallie interrupted yet again. "If anyone could hold him, Raine, it'd be you." I could feel the expression of disbelief crossing my face. Me? Changing Kaden Fleming's ways? This was like some sappy romance book. I had just about no romance experience whatsoever. Sure, there were some dates, and stuff like that, but I'd only had, like, three boyfriends. Obviously, none of them had worked out.

      Another thought crossed my mind, and I eagerly grabbed onto that one, not wanting to reply to Kallie's previous statement. "Wait, how'd you know about this? I know you were there, but it was a long time ago and we were five..." I trailed off, staring at Kallie.

      She grinned, "My parents tell the story all the time. They think it's adorable. You would've heard it, but Kaden begged them not to breathe a word of it when you're around. I'm going to guess that Kaden told you sometime last night, because you don't have the best memory, no offense."

      "None taken," I replied, chewing on my lip and considering what she had just said. So Mr. and Mrs. Fleming knew all about that? Well, that was, ever so slightly, embarrassing. I still can't believe I accepted. I mean, oh my god. I know we were five, but marrying him? Oh my god.

      "You know, that's actually kind of sweet." Annabelle commented from beside us. I jumped, having forgotten that she was there.

      I sighed in sight frustration. "You guys are impossible," I stated. Kallie smiled cheekily, but before she could reply, the guys came over.

      "You done with whatever you were talking about?" Clark asked.

      "Yes," I replied, narrowing my eyes at Annabelle and Kallie, just daring them to disagree.

      "Why does Raine look like she about to kill someone?" Brett asked, chuckling at my expression.

      Kallie grinned. "No reason."

***

      When we set out the next day, I was barely awake.

      Clark insisted on getting up early so we could make it to LA by noon and do some exploring there. Despite the fact that Clark had been the one to wake us all up, Kaden was the most awake, which meant he was the driver for the day. This got me shoved into the passenger seat with a large coffee in hand and a list of directions. We had a GPS, but Clark, ever the worrywart, decided that we would need GoogleMap instructions too, just in case.

      I yawned for what seemed to be the gazillionth time this morning. "It is not natural to be awake at this time," I said to no one in particular, though Kaden was the only one who could reply since the others were sleeping.

      Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kaden look at me, before turning his eyes back to the road. "Just wait until college when you have to pull all-nighters," he told me.

      I glanced at him, then looked back down at the sheet with the directions. "Don't remind me. College will be the death of me. Why is everyone talking about it anyway? I know it's important, but it feels like college is all that matters now," I replied.

      Kaden shrugged, "Well, it decides your future, and we're graduating next year."

      "Yeah, I get that, but..." I trailed off and looked down at my hands resting my lap. How do I say this? Ugh, sometimes I hate the fact that I'm horrible with words. If I was a smooth-talker, I wouldn't have to worry about trying to get people to understand what I was saying, because they already would.

      "But what?" He asked, shooting me a look that clearly showed a mix of confusion and curiosity.

      "It's nothing," I finally decided. "It's just stupid," I shook my head as if it would clear my head, but it really did nothing to help.

      "No, really, tell me. I'd like to know why you hate college so much," Kaden pestered.

      I rolled my eyes and sighed. Should I tell or not? It was a pretty stupid reason, and I doubt he'd understand. Oh whatever, might as well. He's too much like Kallie; he'll keep annoying me until I tell him. "I'm not sure exactly how to say this, but I guess I'm just... College is a big step. I guess I'm just scared of growing up. I feel like it's all moving too fast," I explained uncertainly.

      Kaden nodded. "I get what you mean, it's weird to think about being away from home, and all of us," Taking a hand off the wheel he gestured around the car. "Spread out around the country, or even the world." Whoa. I'm kind of surprised he actually got what I was trying to say. I guess I should give him more credit.

      "Have you figured out where you're going for college, yet?" He asked, changing the subject, ever so slightly.

      I shrugged and stared out the window. "I'm thinking Julliard, but it's almost impossible to get into. You?" I am going to kill Clark. The sun was barely up, for god's sake. The sky was dark blue, streaked with orange. We were also the only ones on the road. See? It's not natural to be up at this time in the summer. In summer, you're supposed to sleep in and relax.

      I saw Kaden smirk and got slightly scared of his answer. "I'm thinking maybe UCLA, or Columbia, somewhere with a good law and sports programs." Dagnabit! If I get into Julliard and he gets into the Columbia... I guess I wouldn't really be escaping him after all. Life is so annoying sometimes.

      My lack of response caused a silence that seemed to stretch out forever. Feeling awkward, I pulled out my iPod and connected it to the car. The chorus of Boys Like Girls' Thunder filled the car and instantly soothed me. Then I realized what the lyrics are about and jolted up to change the song. I glared slightly at Kaden when he started chuckling and repeatedly pressed the 'fast forward' button. It didn't work.

      Screw it.

      I give up on this world.

-READ ME-

*Gasp* Could it be? Another early update? Haha, yeah. By the way, I was wondering how old do you guys think I am? Put your guess in your comment, and I'll dedicate to whoever gets it right. You can't guess if you know from somewhere else though (ex. Polyvore, or if you know me in real life). If no one gets it, I'll just dedicate to whoever gave me the most meaningful comment (yeah, I'm changing it up again).

Vote, if you're liking Kaden more! (I think some of you thought he was annoying in the beginning)
Comment, if somewhere in the story, you smiled or laughed! (If I don't get any comments, I'm gonna be very discouraged :P)
Fan, if, um, you like the story and think I should continue it? Lol, I don't know. Fan if you want to, I guess.

Teaser: What are they gonna do in LA? Beach, shopping, club, park?
Oh, an for those of you reading on your mobiles, please still speak up, comment, vote, fan, anything to let me know I got people reading this.

~JJ :)