[28] Decode

Dedicated to lstornelli27 because her comments always make me smile. Thank you for all the support.

Picture of Jared on the side --->

--

(Unedited)

You won't take away my pride,

No, not this time.

Not this time.

How did we get here?

When I used to know you so well?

~Decode- Paramore

      It almost felt like I was hungover when I first woke up. My head was pounding and my body felt like it was made of jelly. I opened my eyes and looked around. Wherever I was, was pretty dark. I could barely see anything. The room, assuming that I wasn't outside, was only lit by a flashlight in the corner that seemed to be running out. Where was I?

      I shook out my arms, trying to get a bit more feeling into them. Okay, at least I wasn't tied up. I still had a chance of escape. It was probably very small, but there was still a chance. I had absolutely no idea where I was though, which meant, trying to escape; I could run into whoever kidnapped me. Okay, think, Raine. I told myself, trying not to panic.

      I had been grabbed and shoved into a car, and I was almost certain that it had been my ex-boyfriend who had kidnapped me. One of the guys I had met this summer may or may not have been a part of it, and if he hadn't been, I had no idea what had happened to him. What did Jared want with me? I hadn't seen him for over a year. He had left. It was all over.

      Suddenly, a burst of light came from the top of a far corner. From the looks of it, it was a door opening. I closed my eyes against the sudden glare that accompanied it and gulped. Was this it? Was I gonna die? That wouldn't make sense though; he could've killed me anytime. Was he even going to kill me?

      When I opened my eyes again, I was met with a cold piercing stare. It was Jared. A flashlight that was much brighter than the one in the corner rested in his hands, shedding more light on the rest of the room. What was with the flashlights? What happened to light switched? Or light bulbs? My eyes darted around the room. A sturdy desk was pushed against the far wall, a shiny laptop sitting on top of it. Along the other wall, there were some kind of boxes or containers stacked against each other. It looked like I was in the basement. Come on, really? I think he's been watching too many horror movies. I thought to myself in an effort to calm myself down. I had to get out of here. Somehow. Jared had obviously changed, and I had no idea what the new Jared was like, but I suspected that I wouldn't like it.

      I opened my mouth to yell for help, even though there probably wasn't going to be someone who could hear me, but before I could, he cut me off. "Don't bother. There's no one for a couple miles," he told me. What? How? There was nowhere close that was really abandoned. I hadn't been out long enough for them to drive me really far, had I?

      "Where am I?" I asked, even though he probably wouldn't give me a straight answer.

      Jared grinned creepily, but before he could answer, the door opened again. With the light Jared's flashlight offered, I could see that it was Blake. So he had been part of all this. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, now, I didn't have to worry about his body being dumped at the bottom of a lake. On the other hand, I felt betrayed. Why had he done all this?