[10] Two is Better than One

Dedicated to rainandhotchocolate for being the first one to comment last chapter!

Picture of Devon on the side --->

--

I remember every look upon your face,

The way you roll your eyes,

The way you taste.

You make it hard for breathing

‘Cause when I close my eyes and drift away,

I think of you and everything’s okay.

~Two is Better than One- Boys Like Girls ft. Taylor Swift

      When we entered the bar, at some unspoken signal, Kallie lead Annabelle and I away from the guys as Brett did the same with Kaden and Clark. It was almost like it was rehearsed, like Kallie and Brett had planned it before hand. Kallie directed us to a corner of the club. That was when I started hyperventilating. Okay, yes, I get nervous at some of the stupidest things, I know, it’s really weird, but I can’t help it.

      Annabelle looked over at me, slightly concerned. “Breathe, Raine. Breathe.” She told me. I knew she was concerned, but she was also forcing back a smile- which I ignored. I tried to follow her advice and sucked in deep breaths.

      “Don’t worry. It’s just a challenge. We can still crush their faces after,” Kallie stated, only she didn’t say ‘faces’. I chanted her words, followed by Annabelle’s over and over again. Kallie pulled two thin pads of paper and two sharpies from her bag and handed one of each to us.

      “Just in case you need it. Okay, let’s go, we’ve wasted enough time already,” she said, before spinning on her heel and weaving into the thick crowd of teenagers dancing to the way-too-loud music in a manner that was only shown in R-rated movies. Annabelle shot me a sympathetic look and a reassuring pat on the shoulder before twisting away and disappearing.

      I stood there, the pad of paper and sharpie hanging limply in my hand, trying to decide what to do. Then, a guy came up to me. He looked about my age, maybe a bit older, with dark hair and warm brown eyes.

      “Wanna dance?” He asked, almost yelling to be heard over the music. Okay, first victim. This shouldn’t be hard. Smile, dance, ask for his number. I tucked the items Kallie had given me into a hidden pocket she had showed me before we entered the club.

      “Sure,” I replied and took his out-stretched hand. We danced for about five minutes before he lead me over to the bar area.

      I fidgeted a bit, before pasting on a smile. “Hey, can I have your number?” I mentally cringed at how lame that sounded. The boy looked at me oddly, almost like he was examining if I was serious or not, before bursting into laughter.

      “You didn’t figure it out?” He asked, between his chuckles. What the…? Oh gods, I have a feeling this is bad. Why do I always end up messing these things up? I really suck at this stuff.

      “Um, what? What didn’t I figure out?” I asked, completely and utterly confused but certain that my face was portraying my emotions fairly well.

      “I’m gay,” he told me. Dagnabit! Wells that’s 5 minutes wasted. Wait, if he’s gay why the Watson did he dance with me? Oh gods, please tell me he’s not blind and that he didn’t think I was… Though that wouldn’t make sense, because he did pretty much all the leading.