Chapter 2

After the first week of school, we settled into a permanent schedule that alternated our focus electives and our regular, required classes weekly.

It didn't affect me much, disregarding the fact that man whore Evans had to sit behind me for three full hours of creative writing class. And then I had to cook something for the other three hours. Mr. A, bless his soul, tried awfully hard to give us projects that would take up that much time without too much or too little left over.

Other than that, things were going just as I'd wanted them to. People paid me no mind, and I kept to myself. I did all my work, hung out with Nina, did some extra credit. But most importantly, I made sure I stayed clear of Hottie Guitar Play – I mean, Evans. Guitars weren't the only thing he played, and for that, he was no longer hot. Or cute. Or handsome. Or attractive. Not anything I thought he'd been in my momentary lapse of judgment.

***

"Emery, you interested in a job?" Nina asked, a sly smile playing across her lips as she leaned over the counter.

"Isn't this my job?" I asked, looking around the counter.

"No, this is something you put yourself through for unnecessary reasons," Nina replied, raising her eyebrows in an amused fashion.

"Well, I also teach a few classes, help with the blood drives, organize the stock rooms, and manage the inventory..." I started to list.

"Alright, let me rephrase the question. Would you like a job in which you get paid for doing relatively absurd things?" Nina asked, humoring me.

"Depends." I shrugged, "What kinds of absurd things, exactly?"

"Well..."

"Nina. Spit it out," I laughed. "It can't be that bad..." I was hoping it wasn't.

"The daycare down the street is hiring," she said, and when she saw the confused look on my face she added, "And since you were so good with the little ones at the free paternity test event we held, I thought you'd be interested." I remained quiet. Did I want to give up my free time with Nina to babysit crying machines that leaked at every corner?

"The pay is modest, but I thought you might want to buy yourself something nice. You can't live off of the Birthday Money Fund your entire life, Emery," she said. That was true.

"How many days would I work there? And hours?" I asked, curious.

"Wednesday through Friday, five to seven and maybe some Saturdays, nine to five," she said, as if it was nothing. I'd be giving up my Saturday sleep-ins! And homework time... but the money was tempting.

"Sure, I'll do it," I shrugged.

***

I headed over to the daycare to inquire about the job offer. While I was filling out forms, and inhaling the scent of milk and cookies, I felt a hand on my lower leg. I flinched, and looked up. An adorable little girl was looking at me with most amazing green eyes; they were a deep emerald, with little gold flecks sprinkled within. Her honey colored hair was short, and incredibly curly.

"Hi, there..." I said, "My name is Emery."

She just kept staring at me. Figures. You can't exactly have a conversation with a two-year-old.

"Holly! Holly?!" I heard a woman calling, walking around frantically in her three inch heels and a tight red dress.

"Um, excuse me, Miss?" I called, trying to get her attention.

"Oh, thank God!" she chuckled nervously. "Holly! You left Mommy," she cooed, picking her baby up. "Thank you so much," she said, smiling at me.

"It's no problem. Holly's adorable," I told her, standing up to hand the papers to the woman behind the front desk.