Chapter 19

.THIRD PERSON POV.

Fox Evans swaggered lazily over to a shady corner behind the Hamford School of Arts. He'd scheduled this little meeting a half hour before school began to ensure they'd have some privacy. Lily was leaning against the brick wall, rolling her lips together as she put her chapstick back in the shirt pocket of her uniform dress shirt.

"Good morning, Tiger," he said, smiling as she scowled.

"Cut the crap," she muttered, standing up straight. Lily seemed edgy this morning, and Fox had a pretty good guess as to why.

"You know, it's not good to start a day all pissed off like that," he told her, waving his hand around, "All this negative energy is a real turn off."

"You act like I care," she sighed, glaring at him. He decided it was time to indeed 'cut the crap'.

"It kills you inside, seeing them together, doesn't it?" he asked, dropping his backpack from his shoulder.

"She's crazy about him!" Lily said frustratingly running a hand through her honey brown, choppy layers of hair. "Who, Emery?" he laughed, "She's far from crazy about him. Nikki's just got game." When Lily remained unconvinced, he added, "She wouldn't do that to you."

Lily sniffed, chewing on her bottom lip as she stared at her shoes. Fox's eyes remained locked on her until she got the courage to return the gaze.

"You haven't told her," he stated harshly. He didn't even need to ask. He knew she hadn't. "Why?"

"Because – I just..." she fumbled over her words. She batted her eyelashes before changing her train of thought. "I think Nick told her."

Fox knew that was impossible. "No he didn't," he said confidently.

"How would you know?" Lily challenged. After a moment, she gave in. "I bet she'd hate me and side with Nick if she ever found out," Lily shrugged menacingly.

"If you told her your side of it," Fox said cautiously, "She would understand. I know she would."

"Why are you doing this all now?"

"Because he's my best friend, and he still loves you." Lily kept her mouth shut, even though she wanted to scream and swear at the boy in front of her. She wanted to attack him with questions; she deserved answers. Yet she held them in – that was something she had become used to.

"You act like you know her so well," Lily accused, referring to the comment he'd made about Emery.

"She's not that hard to read," Fox shrugged.

"You're not exactly what I'd call 'Rocket Science' either."

Fox arched his brow and gestured for her to continue. "Enlighten me."

"The look on your face in the cafeteria on Monday said it all," Lily said, smiling slyly.

"What look?" Fox asked in a monotone voice, leaning against the brick wall of the school building.

"The one you had when you found out Nick and Em had plans for the weekend..."

"...What would you describe it as?" Fox asked, still not quite following.

"Hurt, pained, disappointed... desperate," Lily listed with her fingers.

"You got the first three right," Fox smirked. Lily narrowed her eyes. Where was he going with this?

"Enlighten me," she prodded, crossing her arms.

"I was pained," he said, circling Lily as part of the act. She stood her ground, trailing him with her eyes. And so he continued, "The realization that I spent a Saturday night with you for nothing was almost too much to bear." He completed his act by placing his hand on his heart in mock-sincerity, and puppy-dog eyes. Lily punched him in the arm.