Chapter 18

.EMERY'S POV.

The pain had subsided by the time I made it through the rackety back door of my dark home. All the lights were off, and years of familiarity assured that I got up to my room without bumping into anything on the way. My father's snoring puzzled me as I exited the kitchen and took a left at the stairs. He sounded close by. I shook my head, ignoring the noise as I got my pajamas and slipped into the luxury of a long, hot shower.

After reluctantly stepping out, drying, and dressing, I ran a comb through the disheveled mop on my head. I wiped the mirror with my towel so I could see myself clearly, though there wasn't much to see. My hair was wet and slicked back over my head from brushing. My eyes were all red, but not heavily bloodshot. My makeup, which I had carelessly forgotten to wipe off, had made its way down my face, leaving a black trail in its path. I was tired. And I looked like crap.

Not to mention the bruise that was slowly forming along my hairline. I had a short, thin, vertical cut atop a hill of swollen skin. The other colors were slowly coming in; I could make out blue and purple patches. I bit my lip and forced myself to brush my teeth. I shouldn't be worrying about my little booboo right now. It'd grow twice in size by tomorrow morning. There'd probably be some green hues amidst the canvas of my forehead as well. School will have a field day with this one. Can't wait...

I eased into my small, noisy bed and cautiously closed my eyes. Just as they had in the shower, thoughts of Lily's date flooded my mind. I huffed and snatched my iPod from the end table to my right. I stuck a bud in my ear and furiously picked a song at random. I'm sorry iPod, I thought. It was unfair that I was taking my fury out on my beloved electronic companion... Paramore's cover of 'Use Somebody' came on, and I tried not to analyze the lyrics. Because then I'd realize that they applied to me in every way.

I was trying to think of anything but Fox and Lily's newfound relationship, yet thoughts of them holding hands on their date and sharing food filled my mind. One question kept ringing in my head, though. Did they kiss? I thought back to when they came through the door. They weren't holding hands... Lily wasn't too dazed or dreamy-eyed. Then again, maybe the shock of having an uninvited guest over ruined her moment. She really seemed to have something against Nick. Poor guy - that must scrape the ego a bit.

As the song switched over to 'Free' by Boys Like Girls, my eyelids felt like they were made of lead. They closed, and the hazy clouds dispersed as my mind cleared up sufficiently. I shut off my iPod, and felt the corners of my lips tug upward as I turned over on my stomach and slid my arm beneath my pillow. Before the depths of unconventional sleep swallowed me up, I concluded: Fox didn't kiss Lily.

***

I scowled as the amused glares buried into both my back, and my forehead. I silently cursed the navy skirt I was required to wear for the seven-hour duration of the school day – it complimented the bluish-purple bruise that encased the majority of my hairline quite nicely. The heat left my cheeks as I entered the safety of Health class and took a seat in the far corner of the room. A guy with a familiar swagger walked up the aisle and took a seat in front of me. I would've looked up, if it weren't for the heinous blemish that was terrorizing my forehead. Luckily, he made the first move.

"Hey you," he said. I breathed a sigh of relief. It was Nick.

I looked up, and heard him mutter a "Holy shh-cow..." as he caught sight of my forehead. But I was too busy taking in a deadly glare from Lily as she opted for seat in the middle of the room, rather than the seat next to mine. This wasn't good. Instead of stressing over why she was mad at me, I turned my attention back to Nick. He was staring at me, furrowing his brows in confusion.