Chapter 24

.EMERY'S POV.

I fidgeted against the heated leather seat as the car came to a slow halt. Biting my lip, which by no was numb from all my nibbling, I looked out the window. The majority of the lights were on downstairs. Not good.

"You okay?" Fox asked over the hum of the heater.

"Great," I nodded enthusiastically.

From the corner of my eye I thought I saw his hand inch for mine, but his hand remained in his lap. No, Emery. He's not that kinda guy. You need to get off cloud 9 and stop thinking you're seeing things you only want to see.

As Fox and I sat their awkwardly, I was ready to do one of two things: one, throw myself at him and kiss him like in all those sappy romantic movies... or two, reach for the door handle and promptly exit the vehicle. Unfortunately, I lacked the courage to do either. It'd been a few days since our mistletoe incident... and nothing had happened. Nothing. Nil. Nada. Which completely sucked – because I really, really, really liked that kiss. I had come to terms with the fact that I really liked him.

Maybe I'm just not worth it. Maybe I turned him off! Maybe I'm just a horrible kisser, or I had bad breath... or both.

We'd visited the hospital every day since then, and Clara refused to talk about anything other than my nonexistent relationship. And destiny. And fate. The little romantic. Fox and I had so much time on our hands, yet not once did he make a move. What did I do?

And just like that the 'what if's and 'maybe's were beginning their hourly raid on my brain. Fox cleared his throat, unknowingly snapping me back to reality.

"So, what are you doing tonight?" he asked, turning to look at me innocently. The street lamp illuminated his face perfectly; made his eyes look even more mysterious and sexy. His hair looked whiter than usual, spiked and hovering over his face. His lips, however, were drawing my attention as they were slightly parted. They were sending the more tempting invitation, and all I was dying to do was RSVP.

I looked down at my hands, which were folded tightly in my lap.

"Um, whatever my parents are doing," I shrugged, which is arguing and yelling at each other... and essentially rotting their marriage to the core. "Probably just go to one of their friend's parties."

He nodded. I hated that he was completely unreadable.

"What about you?" I offered, leaning a little closer like the pathetic optimist I was.

"Just partying," he said nonchalantly.

"I figured," I smirked. "With Nick?"

"Nah, Nick's in Colorado with his parents."

"Oh.." I said unintelligibly.

"Yeah, I guess he wanted a change of scenery since the whole Lily fiasco." Right, right, I thought, Lily went away, too. So in denial, I don't understand.

"Right," I nodded. My hopes were decreasing and my level of disappointment was on the rise simultaneously. "Well um, Happy New Year, in advance," I said awkwardly, "Don't get too wasted."

Fox winced at my comment. "Yeah, um, I'll try." I closed my eyes to lessen the virtual blow of the car door popping open.

"Hey Em?" he said hesitantly.

"Yeah?" I asked, turning around a little too eagerly. Can you say whiplash?

"Happy early New Year," he murmured, "too." I nodded, flipping my bangs out of my eyes as I slipped out of the car. I pushed through the front door, and turned in time to see his car disappear down the street.