Chapter 22

I twirled Holly around in circles, sending her into giggling fits and threatening her balance on those wobbly legs. Her small hand gripped my index finger tightly as I continued to spin her around.

"She's gonna throw up," an unmistakable, velvety voice warned behind me, "All over you."

"Your brother loves ruining your fun, kid," I muttered with a slight grin to Holly. She looked heartbroken as I cut our little dance short and scooped her up.

"I swear, you're corrupting my favorite sister," Fox huffed sarcastically, taking Holly from me. He was so incredibly gorgeous when he was pretending to be serious... Disregarding the thoughts that were roaming through my mind, I pressed my lips into a straight line, waving at Holly. Fox waved along with her, and then they left the daycare. I was free to go myself, but I was too interested in watching Fox and Holly. Excluding the growing smile on my face, I didn't move a muscle as he lifted Holly in the air and spun around. She was laughing, and he was smiling, and I felt a pang of jealously for a moment.

He was a good brother, and she was the most loving little sister... Even though their parents were high in status, they still had each other. Nina was starting her own family. Meanwhile my parents' supposed love "'til death do they part" was crumbling. I was alone. And it sucked. I sighed as I shoved my mocha-colored, oversized pullover over my head, ruining my ponytail in the process. As I pulled the hair tie from my hair and ruffled it up, I signed out of the daycare.

The autumn wind was strong and frigid against my skin. With numb fingers I tucked my hair into my hood. But that was a pointless move, because as soon as I shoved my hands into my pockets the hood was knocked off my head. I sighed and stared up at the sky in defeat.

"Need a ride, Miss?" a husky voice said from behind the wheel of a dark BMW. I stared at my feet for a moment as I considered his offer. Against my better judgment I took his proposal. Only after I'd buckled my seatbelt and he'd set off in the opposite direction of my house did I realize I should've just walked home. Lily's house came into view, and I stared straight ahead with a clenched jaw. Fox stopped the car, and turned to look at me.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked with anger building.

"Because watching you guys try to ignore each other for a whole week has been extremely painful," he muttered. I glared at him coldly.

"You really can't mind your own business, can you?" I asked him. He smirked and shook his head genuinely. I ran a hand through my hair and willed myself to look out the window.

"Lemme see if I understand – I'm just gonna bust into her house, apologize because she decided to keep things from me, and then we hug and it'll all be alright? Is that how it's gonna play out?" I asked in a bitchy tone.

"That sounds about right, smartass," he nodded, following my sarcastic tone. I scowled, staring into his emerald eyes as I tried to decode him. Fox was rather complicated. Indescribable. Annoying beyond compare. Yet, he was also intuitive. To him, there always seemed to be an answer. He got in your business and told you how to fix your problems. I loathed him for that. Or at least, I wanted to.

"I'll be at Nick's house," he said softly. I almost cringed. Nick. "I've got unfinished business with him, too." I nodded, reaching for the door handle. I can't believe I'm actually doing what he's telling me to do. "When you're done, just come get me. I'll take you home."

Biting my lip, I waved at Holly behind the window. She smiled, giving me a small spark of hope as I turned and went for the front door. I held my breath as I rang the doorbell. There was no turning back.

***

"I wanted to apologize," I started, feeling constricted as I tried to break the ice between us.