Chapter 14

.EMERY'S POV.

I felt uneasy as I stepped into the Red Cross center after school. Running my hand through my hair, I arrived extra early so I could avoid direct contact with Fox. Thinking about today's incident in the cafeteria made me smile a bit, and the heat in my cheeks was undeniable. He'd stood up for me, in front of everyone. The fact that he wasn't the least bit nervous in front of people amazed me, because I was the complete opposite. To be honest I hadn't thought Fox would take the situation seriously. I hadn't imagined he'd follow through and actually 'fix' things. But he did, or so it appeared. His speech was pretty intense; I really believed that people would keep their nasty, corroded mouths shut this time.

"Nina," I sang, dropping my bag behind the counter on my way to her office. I stopped in the doorway.

"Hey, Em," she smiled, taking a sip of her water. I eye her beverage preference strangely.

"Where's the Ice Coffee you can't live without?" I asked her, leaning against the door frame.

"That cake made me gain a size," she explained, "So I'm gonna have to suffer for a bit." I doubt she'd last, but then again, Nina was unpredictable.

"Well, good luck," I smirked, "And sorry about the cake."

"Eh, no harm done," she laughed, pulling out a packet of Crystal Light drink mix. She winked at me as she shook the pink water around and then took another sip. "Ahh, much better," she sighed.

I laughed and turned back to the counter. Right on cue, he came into the picture. And by 'he' I meant, the one and only, Fox Evans. He slowed his breathing and ran a hand through his mop of white blonde hair before he caught me staring at him. Returning the glare, his face was expressionless. And it stayed that way. His dark emerald eyes pierced mine, and the gold flecks within them were blazing. It didn't take long for me to notice things were awkward. The silence was a dead giveaway.

"Fox! Emery!" Nina called from her office. I practically ran at the thought of getting away from him, but he followed close behind.

"I want you two to blow up the blowup dolls that just came in. The pump's been misplaced," she said adding another pack of pink powder into her water bottle. The woman loved her sugar.

"Ok," I nodded nervously. Fox and I went to storage and we each picked up a pack, unsealing it and unfolding the rubber doll. I had a feeling I'll be lightheaded after all of this. I took a seat on the dusty linoleum floor and began blowing up the first of the dolls. Fox sat down too – across from me. As I inhaled through my nose, Fox exhaled from his mouth into his doll. We grew awkwardly in sync. Every time I looked over at him I caught his gaze. Why was he looking at me?

After a few moments of playing eye tag, I cracked. "What?" I asked. Way to go Em... graceful way to start a conversation.

"What?" he repeated, confused.

"Why do you keep looking at me?" I reiterated.

"Because you keep looking at me," he shrugged, blowing into the doll again. His cheeks puffed up a bit and he looked up at me, his emerald eyes guarded by his light wisps of hair.

"Do not," I muttered, blowing into the doll once more.

"Do too," he said between blows.

"Do not," I said rolling my eyes.

"Do. Too."

"You're so immature," I stated. A sly smile made its way across his pale, pink lips.

"I'm immature?" He smirked.

"Did I stutter?" I challenged.

He chuckled, shaking his head. "Emery, Emery, Emery," he sighed, "You're so easy."