Chapter 26

I was grateful for school. Not only did I have an excuse to get out of that stuffy house, but I also got a chance to see Fox. Pathetic, I know. My mom and I weren't speaking, not that I saw her much. Dad wasn't saying much either. I suspected he heard us screaming at each other the other day.

School, however, was a disappointment to say the least. Fox and I didn't make eye contact. At all. Nor did we sit together at lunch. I didn't really expect him to, though. When Nick and Lily agreed to stay apart, that obviously made no room for the exception of friendship.

"Dude, what's his deal?" Lily asked, glaring in Fox's direction. Since health class was a real bore today, I took the liberty of filling her in on my vacation. She didn't take it well.

I shrugged in response. "I don't expect him to be all over me, Lil."

"Yeah, well I do," she said, stabbing at her chicken nuggets. "The way you described your winter break, he's just about ready to take the next step in whatever it is that you two are." I angled my jaw, processing her words.

"So unless you lied about your vacation – and that kinda detailed-lying takes skill – he's hiding from you," she said quietly but insistently. I wanted to tell her she was wrong. But how could I do that when I was so lost in all of this? Maybe she was right. I hoped she wasn't. Lily smiled weakly.

"I don't know anymore," I sighed, shoving my plate aside. "If he's hiding, he can't do it for long 'cause we've got red cross today."

"Nail the bastard," Lily laughed.

The bell rang.

***

Annoyed would suffice for an adjective when talking about my mood at the center; he still was ignoring me. Desperate times called for desperate, intriguing measures. I sat there on the counter, yes, on the counter, swinging my legs back and forth. Fox was mopping. Very discreetly, I unbuttoned the three buttons on my polo, exposing what skin I could. It wasn't overly revealing, but I figured he'd notice. But he didn't say a word. He didn't smirk. Didn't acknowledge me at all.

"Emery!" Nina scolded. "Off the counter, please." I jumped off, trying to smother the growl in my throat. Fox was living in his own freaking world.

"Fox, Emery," Nina said, "Storage. The new equipment just came in." Okay, I thought nervously. I anxiously stepped into that little room. He got right to work, like the good little boy he usually wasn't. I started lifting a few boxes of my own, deciding to put them on the highest shelves. Ultimately, I ended up on my toes. The heavy box was bending back the tips of my fingers.

"Hey Fox," I said softly, trying not to reveal how much I was struggling.

He was right next to me. Turning his head slowly, his eyes met mine for the first time all day. Ahh, the satisfaction. Now if I could just get him to relieve the pressure on my fingers...

"A little help?" I squeaked helplessly. He remained where he was. That sly smile playing on his lips, and he crossed his arms. I gaped at him. He couldn't be serious. "Dude, seriously," I warned, "I'm about to drop it."

"Go ahead," he smirked, leaning against the shelf. Testing his confidence, I was mere seconds from dropping my hands and ducking. But Fox came to the rescue, right behind me. He easily pushed the box to the safety of the shelf. I sighed in relief.

When I heard him laughing, I turned around and smacked his arm. He stopped laughing instantly, and grabbed my arms. My breath hitched as he looked me up and down.

"You," he breathed, "are such a tease."

"Am not," I responded both quickly and defiantly.

He smiled. "I beg to differ."