Chapter 35

I looked like a bug... an ugly, creepy looking bug – makeup-less; pale; with my big eyes sticking out of my face in wonder at the mass atop my head. I shook my (extremely heavy) head as Lily clipped the last hot curl into my hair.

"Stop moving!" she laughed. "Alrighty, you're good to go, Curly Sue. In forty minutes we'll take these babies out." T minus four hours until prom. I got up off the toilet I had been straddling for the past thirty minutes and stretched my sore legs. This hotel's known for its gorgeous ballroom and complimentary breakfast, but it is definitely lacking in a comfortable place to sit while preparing for prom.

"What's with the subliminal soundtrack?" I muttered, proceeding to join her in front of the long countertop of our suite's bathroom. The mirror that accompanied it was equally long, and I marveled at my pale body and (now) big head once more. Lily and I were shirtless – we had our bras on, for sure, but we didn't want to risk ruining our hair with the hassle of taking a t-shirt off before slipping into our dresses. We were wearing all other relevant articles of clothing (i.e. pants).

"There's nothing subliminal about it," she defended, "I just love these songs."

"M-hm," I smirked, "Enrique Iglesias's 'On Top of You' was a classic, as was Mohombi's 'Do Me Right'. Your taste definitely does not coincide with your dirty mind, my bad."

She chuckled, applying various shimmery body lotions to her arms, legs, and back as she continued to try and lie to me. "They're nice, relaxing songs, Em – nobody said you had to listen to the lyrics."

"Lily, it's a song... Obviously I'm going to listen to the lyrics." I followed her example and asked her wordlessly if I could use her lotion. She nodded.

"You're gonna hear the song and hear the words, but you don't necessarily have to listen to them," she said suggestively.

"Whatever," I huffed, giving up. I washed my hands of the excess lotion and we began applying foundation to our faces. Lily had brought all this fancy brand name makeup her aunt Raine also conveniently had stashed in her basement. "All I'm saying is there's not a single song on your playlist that isn't about sex."

She marched over to her iHome and skipped Matt Nathanson's 'Come on Get Higher' in search of a better song. To further prove my point, Trey Songz's 'Neighbors Know My Name' ended up playing. She skipped that one, too, and Drake's 'Best I Ever Had' followed. It was the dirty version. She groaned, pressing the arrow one more time before returning to the mirror and picking up her eye shadow pallet. The song that was playing sounded almost dream-like and playful. I found myself nodding my head as I searched for the perfect combination of colors for my own eyes.

"Who sings this song?" I asked as I settled for a shimmery white, a very light pearl pink, and a silvery shade for accents.

"Alex Guadino."

"Hmm..." I mused, applying the white on my eyelids generously.

"I'm in love, I'm in love," Lily sang softly, lining her eyes with black kohl. "I wanna do it. I'm in love, I'm in love, I wanna do it."

"Lily!" I scolded.

We both burst out in laughter and she shrugged helplessly. "I didn't intentionally pick all the ones about sex, Em, swear on all things chocolate."

"Yeah, yeah," I smirked, "Ooookay." I dusted my eyelids with the pink, swiping lightly under my brows as well with it.

"Speaking of sex..." she started mysteriously. I turned to her a curious gaze before returning to my eyes. While waiting for her to finish her sentence, I gently coated the area beneath my lower lashes with a thin line of silver before moving to my eye creases.