Chapter 3

I was freaking out by the time I walked into Mrs. Sawyer's classroom. I'd somehow lost my SAT list. It was not in my nature to lose things, so naturally I was freaking out. I was running my hands through my hair before class started, trying to think where it could've been. I'd already called Nina that morning, but she said it wasn't anywhere in sight.

My heart started racing as I made a terrifying discovery. I'm going to have to ask her for a new one... She'll think I'm irresponsible, embarrass me in front of class, and give me a whole lecture about taking care of important papers. She probably won't even give me another copy! Maybe I'd just have to beg someone to make me a copy. I'd have to redefine and study them like crazy once I got back from the daycare at seven.

I pondered asking Fox for his; he should've still had it. Knowing him, he'd probably ask for sexual favors in return. I shuddered. I turned around in my seat and found him staring at me.

"Good morning, Ms. Price," he smiled slyly.

"Have you seen my SAT paper?" I snapped. I skipped all that 'good morning' crap, cutting right to the chase. He noticed. Leaning toward me, elbows propped on his desk, he smirked. "Is that anyway to greet someone, Em?"

"Stop calling me Em, this is important," I told him. He simply sat there. His expression said it all. He knew where my paper was, and he knew it meant a lot to me.

"God, Fox! You have it, don't you?" I concluded. The grin on his face proved me right.

"You better give it back. I worked too damn hard on that list," I warned him, narrowing my eyes.

"Or you'll what, Em? Tell Sawyer on me?" he teased. I considered that for a split second. What is this, second grade?

"You suck!" I growled. Evidently it is.

"No Em, that's your job," he whispered in my ear before class commenced. I gasped at his repulsive comment. I tried to maintain my fury as Mrs. Sawyer began class, but for the entire three-hour duration, all I could think about was how to get my paper back.

***

After class, I got up from my seat slowly, hoping maybe he'd come to me; maybe he felt some sort of remorse. But as I casually tucked my hair behind my ear and sneaked a glance to my right, I found he was gone. I strolled out of class, disappointed, distraught, but mainly pissed off. Who did he think he was? Thinking he could just take my work and put his name on it?

A soft sound made its way to my ears as the hallways cleared out and I was a few yards away from Mr. Aurelle's room. I turned around to find Fox, leaning lazily against the wall, strumming his black, glistening acoustic. He stood there, staring at me intently.

"I have a proposition for you, Ms. Price," he said, anticipating my reaction. 'Of course you do,' I almost blurted. I called it.

"Well, Mr. Evans, I don't negotiate with terrorists," I replied, surprising myself with how well I kept a straight face. I turned on my heel and headed for the kitchen, where I spent another agonizing three hours...

Normally, I wouldn't have been in such a rush to get to the center, but out of desperation to get my sheet back, I paced myself. Despite saying I wasn't interested in his proposition, I wanted my work back. I walked into the building, finding no one behind the counter.

I found a note taped to the desk from Nina, saying that Carlos was stocking the storage room and that she needed to run to the hospital because she wanted to set up a blood drive. Deciding to pass the time, I turned on iTunes and pressed the shuffle button, hoping I'd get a song I liked, and not one of Nina's trumpety salsa songs. I got lucky, singing along and swaying my hips about.