Chapter 5

Life is slightly messed up, I concluded mentally. It was not the first time I had noted this fact, but when placed in a health class with a plethora of perverts and the world's youngest and most provocative teacher ever it gets increasingly difficult not to notice.

"Now, class: since this is prevention month and we can all trust each other in this room..." Ms. Tibble began, "I want you all to participate actively." She told us to move the desks aside and to join her by the long line of tape she had set up across the floor. "Now, how many of you have seen the movie Freedom Writers?" she asked. A few raised their hands, uninterested.

"Ok, great. Well this is the game they played," she smiled before continuing, "I'll ask a question, and all students that apply will step forward on the line. It's a way for us all to get to know each other a little better." Half the class smirked, but she was oblivious to it.

"Ok. How many of you have ever had protected sex?" she asked, as if it was parallel to asking something like, How many of you like movies? What a game... A good 70% of the class stepped forward, while I stood on the sidelines along with Lily.

"How many of you have ever had unprotected sex?" she asked. Again, a good number of students stepped forward while I simply stood there. I was surprised to find Lily stepping forward, with pink cheeks and yellow eyes scanning the room nervously.

"How many of you have ever had an STD?" she asked. No one stepped forward.

"Too personal, huh?" she smirked, and everyone nodded. "Ok well..." she said, "How many of you have had a pregnancy scare, or known someone who's had one?" Everyone stepped forward this time, besides me. This game blows.

"How many of them were actual pregnancies?" Ms. T asked softly. A good majority of the students remained up there while I stood alone, arms crossed, chewing on my bottom lip.

"Emery, in this game, everyone has to participate. It's not fair if you just stand there, while we're all being honest and sharing our past," Ms. Tibble said suddenly, calling me out in front of everyone. My head shot up, and I saw about 20 pairs of eyes looking at me. My cheeks grew hot, but more out of anger than from embarrassment. Why does she assume everyone is having sex?

"Who said I wasn't being honest?" I returned quietly, and my cheeks enhanced a shade as I heard a few people start whispering.

"Are you saying... Oh my..." Ms. Tibble began, unsure of herself and the awkward question she was trying to form.

"I'm saying it's none of your business," I muttered, and looked back down at my converse. Mondays are definitely not my day...

***

The stares I'd been getting in the hallways and in class had increased dramatically by lunchtime. I thought this whole 'new girl' treatment had blown over... Apparently not. I grabbed a small bag of barbeque chips and a bottle of water and then took a seat beside Lily. I wouldn't say we were friends, exactly, but she was the only person I liked so far, and I seemed to be the only person she talked to, as well. I popped my bag and grabbed a chip while she munched on an apple. We sat there in comfortable silence for a bit.

"Did I miss something?" I wondered out loud.

"Hmm?" Lily mumbled, keeping her mouth closed as she chewed the last of her apple.

"Those Barbies over there seem to have a problem with me," I muttered, nodding in their direction. Lily looked over, catching them glaring at me as they waited in line.

"Actually, everyone has a problem with me today, it seems. Is there something on my face or..?" I asked curiously.

"No, there isn't anything on your face..." Lily replied, a bit hesitant.