Chapter 20

I took on a whole new perspective as Nick's Rover pulled up the small driveway. It was pitch black, except for the small patch of light the living room window gave off. Dad was still up...

"So..." Nick started. I sat there, feeling mad at him. I felt used. And stupid. And embarrassed. Definitely embarrassed. My hand clutched the door handle, and I was ready to leave. I heard Nick press the lock button, sending the whole car into a loud spasm of clicks.

"What is it with men and holding me hostage?" I muttered under my breath. Craning my neck, I glared at Nick. I guess it was obvious that I was ticked off.

"What's wrong, Emery?" he asked genuinely.

"What, you're not going to make another move on me?" I asked sarcastically. "Is that because there's no audience this time?" He sighed and ruffled up his dark mass of hair. He looked stressed; guilty.

"Look, Em, I know you probably don't like me right now," he said softly, "But there is an explanation for all of this."

"There always is."

He stayed quiet. So I waited, for a long time. Crossing my arms I turned in my seat so I was looking at him directly. I knew it was dark, but he could see me giving him a questioning look. "You're saying there is a reason why we were on a date tonight, rather than just hanging out like you'd suggested, and you won't tell me?" I asked, chuckling menacingly.

"It's a long story, Em," he sighed, his face pained, "But it's not completely mine to tell." I shook my head, turning in my seat to look forward. I went for the door handle again, but he pressed the lock button once more.

"Will you just let me go? I have nothing more to say to you." Geez, I sounded like I was breaking up with him.

"Emery, I'm an asshole for doing this to you, I know. But this has just gotten a little out of hand, and Fox was the one to–"

"Fox is in on this?" I growled.

"He started it," Nick growled back with equal ferocity, "He loves getting into other people's business."

"By people you mean," I gasped, piecing it together, "You and Lily." It made sense now. Nick said nothing. He just sat there. The car erupted in simultaneous clicks and I realized I was free to go.

"So what now..?" I sighed as my hand enclosed the door handle for a third time.

"I don't know, Emery," he shook his head. "All I know is tonight was a mistake."

"How about we hang out tomorrow, without a crowd," I suggested.

Nick smirked. "I owe you that 'hanging out' day, don't I?"

"I do believe so."

"I'll pick you up at noon," he smiled.

I smiled in turn. "Okay then."

"Goodnight, Em," he said, and I returned a goodbye before getting out of the car. The living room light was no longer on.

Nick and I are just friends, and Fox is an asshole, I repeated under my breath as I marched up to my room.

***

I tapped my pen against my desk rhythmically as Mrs. Sawyer passed out our term paper rubric. My head throbbed and I set it down on my desk, using my arm as a pillow. My eyes, stinging with every blinking motion, burn as I close them. I was beyond tired. Spending the entire day with Nick had definitely not been the brightest idea. It'd been fun, though. So fun in fact, I'd forgotten about the stack of homework I'd left in my book bag. Procrastinating had never been my thing...