Chapter 27

Lily didn't call me. I figured everything was fine; didn't stress it too much. Halfway through the school day I got a text confirming she was fine – for lack of a better term – and that she and Nick had fallen asleep and had decided to skip school to talk more. I was hopeful for both of my friends. Because I wanted them to really get everything out and rebuild some kind of relationship, I didn't mind sitting at the lunch table alone. Fox Evans and his nosey self, however, seemed to mind.

"Hey. Where're Nick and Lily?" he asked, running a hand through his hair before folding his arms against the table and leaning in. My internal organs were doing acrobatic stunts at the sound of his voice. I fought the urge to blush and hide my face in shame. Deciding to take Lily's advice, I opted for the friendly route. I loved spending time with him; I figured it'd be easy enough. I'd just have to stop letting him phase me, and I'd have to forget that kiss.

"They skipped together," I told him simply. "They're talking more about some things."

"How do you know this and I don't?" he asked, arching a brow.

"People trust me more, I guess," I smirked, tapping my yogurt with a plastic spoon.

"Yeah," he laughed, "Okay, Em."

"I don't blame them," I shrugged, taking a spoonful of raspberry-flavored goodness into my mouth.

"Tell me more," he prodded, watching me intently. "What exactly are they talking about?"

"I'd love to," I said indifferently, "but it's their secret to tell, not mine." Fox stared at me for a long time with his classic, unreadable expression. Then he slowly and understandably nodded.

"You're right, Em," he said. "Lily would be proud to know you can keep a secret. So what's up?" That I did not expect. What's up? This "friend" business seems easy enough.

"Um... not much, just eating lunch," I smiled, gesturing to the desolate table before us.

"I see," he nodded with a similar, awkward smile.

"Hey Fox?" I asked quietly, leaning forward a bit after eating another spoonful.

"Yeah?" he whispered back.

"Why aren't you with your friends right now?"

"Who says I'm not?" he responded naturally. Not even Justin could wipe the grin off my face in that moment.

"We're friends, huh? You sure you wanna enter dangerous territory, Fox?" I teased – I don't know what possessed me to initiate such flirtatious comments.

"I'm pretty sure I got it, Em, but can you handle it?" he smirked back.

"Let's just say I'm 'pretty sure' I can handle it," I said before ingesting the last of my yogurt.

"Okay there, champ, we'll see," he laughed, getting up from the table, "I'll see you later, friend."

"'Kay, friend."

Mentally, I patted myself on the back for keeping my cool. I was confident I was becoming a pretty good liar around Fox – hiding my feelings didn't seem too difficult.

***

I cautiously made my way to the RCC on a bright January afternoon after school. The forecast was showing more storms coming in, and with all the snow and ice still on the ground I was anticipating school cancellations galore. Shaking at the sudden temperature change, I took off my scarf and coat and went to greet Nina.

"Hey you – where you going?" I asked as she picked up her bag and slipped some black gloves on.

"Ultrasound," she said, patting her visible bump. There was a hint of nervousness in her chuckle.