Chapter 6

The next day at school, news about my V card had spread like wildfire; alerting everyone within the school vicinity. If anyone had - by some miracle - missed the gossip, they were informed by the end of lunch. It bothered me. And who wouldn't it bother? The fact that the entire student body knew about your virginity and how you still had it... Having them stare you down because you're supposedly a prude and you're inexperienced... It sucked. And there was nothing I could do. That's what bothered me the most.

All I wanted was to go to school, get good grades, get into a good college, make lots of money, have a family, and live happily ever after. The American Dream. But I never expected to become this... infamous because I'd decided to get good grades rather than get guys in my bed. Somehow, with the help of my trusty companion Lily, I made it through the day.

***

"Ok, you know most of the words," I sighed, placing the flashcards down on the counter and pulling out my Calculus book, "Let's move on before we both fall asleep. You have Mr. Sutter?" I asked him. Fox nodded, grinning.

"What?" I asked, running a hand through my hair.

He shook his head, "We are in the same class for math."

"Nuh-uh," I argued out of habit, giving him a weird look. Maybe we were...

"Yup. We are. Where've you been?" Staying up all night dreading school. I shrugged and rubbed my eyes, starting on the assignment.

"Do you need help with the homework then?" I asked, squinting at all the little numbers.

"Nope. I'm good in Calculus." He hopped off the counter. Really?

"Oh," I state, trying to ignore my noisy, empty stomach. Lily and I had decided to skip lunch, seeing as I didn't want to eat in front of a nosey, rude audience.

"You hungry?" Fox asked, staring at me, "'Cause I am."

Before I had the chance to lie, he grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the kitchen. I needed to work on my homework, and take advantage of the free time. Carlos had somehow disappeared, and Nina was as stressed as ever. She was making Fox and I cover for Carlos, while she taught the CPR and babysitting courses. "Fox, Nina will flip if we aren't behind the counter. She'll make us clean the already spotless storage room again!" I told him, trying to stay quiet.

"Don't worry, she's in her office," he said calmly, opening the fridge and scanning the contents.

"Yeah, but she can easily come out of there. What if the phone rings or something?" I asked in a nervous tone.

"You seriously need to chill, Em." He moved onto the cabinets nonchalantly. I took a deep breath.

"Find anything good?" I asked, suddenly very, very hungry.

"Noodles," he replied, pulling out two Styrofoam cups of microwavable noodles.

"Is it edible?" I asked, scrunching my nose.

"Let's find out," he stated, placing the cups of noodles on the counter. I watched, fascinated, as he filled the kettle with tap water and placed it on the stove. He caught me staring and smirked. Within minutes, he was pouring the boiling water into our cups of noodles, and mixing the soup with plastic spoons.

"Actually, can I have a fork?" I asked, turning to walk back to the lobby. He gave me a strange look, but brought me my soup with a fork. It was easier to grab the noodles that way, otherwise they'd slip off the spoon and the soup would plop everywhere.

"Aww, Fox made me dinner," I cooed, "Mmm, artificially-flavored noodles. My favorite."

"Hey! I tried," he said in his defense before adding in a cocky tone, "How many of your boyfriends have ever cooked you such a fine dinner?"