Chapter 11

.FOX'S POV.

Mrs. Sawyer's heels clicked on the floor as she walked down the aisles and placed a paper on each desk. I know this.We began. I was surprised to find how well I was doing, and how easy the test seemed to be. Maybe I was becoming a nerd or something; Emery was rubbing off on me. I needed to impress my father. I needed to do some serious sucking up – and acing this exam would be the perfect place to start.

That was why I'd been studying with Emery this entire freakin' week. Even though she had to watch Holly, I'd coaxed her into staying an extra hour to help me study both English and History. Holly got extra time on the playground, and I worked on broadening my attention span. To put it simply, the week had been complete hell. And it had all led up to this.

Prostrate.

Picturing the look on Emery's face when I'd given her a sentence for that word made me want to laugh, but since my life depended on this grade, I didn't want to give Mrs. S any reason to deduct points.

Prosaic.

She had gotten pissed at me for calling her boring. I didn't know she was that sensitive... she loved being a bitch to me, so I figured she wouldn't mind. But she did. It wasn't like she really was boring – just, I don't know, different? Em was strange – she worked too hard in school and she spent all her time volunteering.

"Pass them in!" Mrs. Sawyer announced, which meant there was like a minute left in class. I quickly scribbled down the last sentence and went up to the front of the room with my paper. I had been the only one still working. Swell... The bell rang, and we all shuffled out. I waited for Emery outside the room. When a short girl with dirty blonde hair walked out, I grabbed her and swung her around. She squealed and tried to get me to put her down, but I didn't. Not until Mrs. Sawyer stepped out and gave me the creepiest stink eye I'd ever seen.

"I take it you think you did well," she muttered when I finally put her down. Her cheeks were pink as always.

"I know I did," I replied.

"Cocky son of a-" Before she had the time to finish, Lily came out of nowhere and looped her arm with Emery's.

"Hey, Lil-"

"Fox, love to stay and chat but Em and I have class," Lily said quickly and pulled her down the hall. Right...

"Mr. Evans," Mrs. S said, stepping out of her room, "What was that little scene about?"

"I was just... showing my appreciation," I smirked, watching her brows crease.

"Appreciation?"

"Yeah, Emery's my new tutor," I stated.

"If she's anything like the rest of the tutors you've had, I will not be surprised after grading your exam," she muttered, stepping back into her room and closing the door. Ouch, Mrs. S got jokes.

***

.EMERY'S POV.

"Lily, are you alright?" I asked, checking the list of supplies we had on the counter like Mr. A had instructed.

"No, I just-", she stopped, shook her head, and tied her hair into a ponytail at the top of her head. Her bangs were still in her eyes though.

"You just..?" I pressed, cracking a few eggs into the bowl.

"Why are you spending so much time with the SG?" she asked finally, eyeing me as we poured a few other things into the bowl.

"SG?"

"Sex God."

"Ohhh," I replied, blushing as I remembered he'd caught me on the phone, "I don't know." I shrugged. "I mean, I'm just tutoring him and stuff."