Chapter 28

The next morning I woke up to a shining ray of light beaming through my window – literally. I sat up reluctantly and peered out the window with squinty eyes to find a foot of fresh snow blanketing the ground. Despite all signs pointing to no school, I had to be sure. I kept my eyes closed and blindly felt around for the wall and the banister to my rickety stairs. It was imperative to retain as much of my sleepiness as possible.

I made my way to the living room, which was thankfully dark. My father had closed all the curtains in his efforts to live a nocturnal life. I turned on the TV to the news channel and muted the volume. Since the cancelation listings were on the letter K I closed my eyes are laid down on the carpet for a bit. Every couple seconds I'd find that the listings were progressively moving down the alphabet.

I sat up again when they hit letter C, hoping not too many schools in Connecticut started with the letters that followed and my school would come up soon. I would run up to my room and back to bed, which with any luck was still warm. Hamford School of Arts: Closed.

I smiled sleepily and wobbled back up to my bed. The incredible feeling of returning to such a glorious place was indescribable. I buried myself beneath the covers and curled up in utter satisfaction. A familiar, generic ringtone went off in my room, and I was immediately pulled away from the slumber I had so desperately tried to cling to.

"Ughitbetterbefreakingimporta-hello?" I asked when I finally found my phone and lifted my face from my pillow.

"Good morning, friend," an all too familiar voice greeted at the other end.

"Why the hell are you calling me?" I groaned, face-planting into my pillow again.

"I take it someone's not a morning person, huh?"

"I take it someone's not a nuh-nuh-nuh?" I mimicked into the pillow. When I heard laughter on the other end I turned my face and said audibly: "Cut to the chase, before I hang up."

"Dress warm, we're going on a trip," Fox stated. "Bring a snowsuit."

"Hmm?" I murmured, "I could've sworn you just told me to get out of be–"

"See you in twenty, friend," he said cheerily before he hung up. Muttering a slew of curses I set my phone next to me and resumed my position in bed. It took a couple moments before I registered what had actually been said.

"D'aww shit," I whined, dragging myself out of bed and going to brush my teeth and fix up my face.

I ended up braiding my hair into two short braids and wearing a striped hat with a little blue pom-pom on top. I put on a black tank and a thick grey pullover, along with some skinny jeans and black sweats. I heard the car honking outside as I slipped on some thick socks and snow boots and grabbed my suit.

"You SUCK," I growled, opening the passenger door and climbing into Fox's truck. How many cars does he have?

"Yeah, well, who wants to sleep in on a snow day?" Fox asked, turning up the radio to tune out my protests. I immediately turned it down and turned to see who else was in the car. Nick and Lily sat there, looking at me sheepishly as I took in how close they were sitting.

"Hey," I said, testing the waters.

"Hey," they returned.

"You never called me," I mouthed to Lily, who blushed and closed her eyes. I turned to face Fox again, who was trying to conceal his smile as well.

"Where are we going?" I asked, leaning back and taking in the frosted bare branches of the trees on either side of the highway.

"You'll see," Fox responded. I waited for further commentary, but it never came.