Closets Are For Clothes {4}

“Well look at that!” dad cried. “What?” mom and I asked at the same time. The guys had left and dad was watching TV while mom made dinner and I read a book. “They’re discussing gays in the military AGAIN.” Dad shook his head. “Just don’t let them join.”

                “But dad, if they want to defend the country, why doesn’t matter if they’re men who prefer men?” I asked, trying to sound casual. “Because men in the military have to sleep together, son. Trust me, that would not be pretty.” Dad snorted. “What the heck is up with all these gays lately?” He smiled at me. “Thank god we have you Maxwell.”

                I could’ve balled my fucking eyes out.

                I forced back my emotions and rolled my eyes at my dad. Dad smiled at me proudly. “You’re a normal kid, Maxwell. You’re beyond normal. You’re amazing! Such a good boy.” “Thanks dad,” I said, offering him a smile. But I was struck with fear on the inside.

                What if they found out I was gay?

                “Honey, turn off the TV and come eat dinner,” mom said as she set plates down on the table. Dad turned off the TV and he and I sat down at the dinner table together. “Maxwell, please get Skeeter his food,” mom said as she sat down.

                I got up and gave Skeeter his dog food and some fresh water before sitting back down again. I began to eat my mom’s cooking, hoping we wouldn’t have any more talk of gays.

                “So Maxwell, how was your day?” mom asked pleasantly with a smile. I shrugged, ignoring the whole thing with Brent. “Good,” I said and took a sip of milk. “Good. Are you and your friends hanging out again tomorrow?” I shrugged again. “Maybe. I’m not really sure yet.”

                Dad snorted. “Owen and Pierce…they’re gay, aren’t they?” “Bisexual,” I corrected nervously. He shook his head. “Teenagers now a days, honestly!” I stayed quiet. I wanted to stand up for Pierce and Owen. Of course I did! But I was scared dad would get suspicious.

                I didn’t need him to hate me.

                I finished up with dinner and began to head towards my room. “Maxwell!” dad called. I winced and spun around. “Y-Yea dad?” “Come watch a movie with me!” I relaxed a little and went into the living room with my parents.

                “Oh! Let’s just watch the ending of this episode,” mom said. We turned to the TV screen. It was criminal minds. I made a face. I had seen this episode before.

                “MY FAMILY IS IN THERE!” he screamed, pointing at the crashed car. “No they’re not!” Mom sighed sadly. “Such a sad episode. To think that he killed his own family. It’s horrible.” She turned to me in worry. “You don’t watch this a lot, do you?” I shook my head. “No. Only when nothing else is on and I’m really bored.”

                She relaxed a little. “I don’t like you watching this Maxwell. It’s such a terrible show.” I forced myself not to roll my eyes. Dad got up when the episode ended and put in a movie. We relaxed on the couch together and watched The Princess Bride, laughing and enjoying the family time.

                My parents and I were really close. That’s why I was so terrified of them finding out I was gay. I just wasn’t strong enough to see them look at me with disapproving eyes. Nothing could be as terrible as my own parents being ashamed of me when I loved them so much.