Closets Are For Clothes {20}

I let out a yell as I tumbled painfully down the stairs. I landed on the ground at the bottom and groaned as a circle of kids exploded around me, calling my name and screaming for people to get the nurse.

                “MAX!” Pierce and Owen screamed and ran down the stairs to me. Pierce slowly helped me sit up. “Are you okay?” he asked in concern.

                “Yea,” I groaned and moved around to make sure I hadn’t really hurt anything. “I’m alright. Just bruised a little.”

                Pierce hugged me gently. “Max!” Noah appeared next to me, the concern in his eyes so great I could barely stand looking at him.

                “What happened? How did you fall?” he asked frantically. “Something bumped into me. I think it was a person. It was probably just an accident,” I said with a slight shrug. I winced a little. I must’ve popped my shoulder out of place.

                “Noah, punch my shoulder,” I said and nodded at my right shoulder. He bit his lip but let his fist fly forward. I winced again as it made a disgusting popping sound.

                The nurse shoved her way through the crowd and hurried over to me. “Everyone go to class!” she snapped at the crowd. Pierce, Owen, Noah, and even Andre stayed next to me as the crowd grumbled and left.

                “What happened?” she asked me. “Someone hit me and I fell down the stairs. I think it was just an accident,” I said. “Can you stand?” I nodded and slowly got to my feet. A pain exploded in my ankle and I staggered a little before Noah caught me.

                “Easy Maxi,” he said and helped to steady me. “Sorry Noah. I think my ankle’s twisted.” I gently put it on the ground and winced. Yep. Definitely twisted.

                “Help him to my office. The rest of you get to class,” the nurse said sternly. “But-” Pierce started to argue. “Pierce, I’ll be okay,” I promised and gave him a reassuring smile.

                He frowned but nodded. The three of them left to get to class while Noah helped me. He sighed and glanced at me. “Why don’t you just jump on my back?”

                I nodded and jumped on his back. He grinned as he began to walk. “Yea Maxi! Ride me!” I couldn’t help but laugh as the nurse gave him a disgusted look.

                He set me down in the nurse’s office and sat next to me as she inspected my ankle. She made sure that nothing was seriously wrong before calling my mom to come get me.  

                Mom came and got me in the car. She kept shooting me nervous looks as she drove me to the hospital. They X-rayed my ankle and assured me that it was just twisted. They wanted me on crutches for the week though just to be safe.

                Mom drove me back home and helped me up the stairs. “Are you sure you’re okay Maxwell?” she asked me for the millionth time. I smiled at her reassuringly. “Yea mom. I’ll call you if I need you,” I promised her before going in my room and shutting my door.

                Like I’d expected, I spun to face Noah relaxing on my bed.

                “Are you okay Max?” he asked, jumping up. I nodded. “On crutches for a week,” I said with a shrug. He bit his lip nervously. “Is something wrong Noah?” I asked in concern. He sighed and nodded. “Yea Maxi. I…well, I could’ve seen wrong, but it looked like Andre hit you. On purpose.”

                My eyes widened. “What? Why would Andre do that?” I whispered. I limped over to my bed and sat down next to him shakily. Why would Andre push me down the stairs? I could’ve broken my neck! I shook my head. I just wouldn’t believe it.

                                                                                ***Pierce’s POV***

                I was biting my nails, something I only did when something was extremely wrong. Andre had knocked Max down the stairs. I had seen it out of the corner of my eye. He was after Max now to get to me. I was going to have to make a hard choice now.

                Either I broke Max, or Andre would.