Closets Are For Clothes {15}

The police man watched us as we slowly crawled out of the attic. Max was shaking terribly. I grabbed his hand when we were out of the attic and gave it a reassuring squeeze. “You boys are in a lot of trouble,” the officer said as he crawled down after us.

                We stayed silent. The officer led us into the living room. “Maxwell!” Mrs. Quincy screamed and ran to him. She hugged him tightly. A tear silently made its way down his face.

                My dad glared at me. “You lied to me Pierce!” he growled. The officer walked over to Mr. Quincy. “Thank you so much Tom,” he said, shaking the officer’s hand. The officer turned to face Max and I. “I’ll leave you two to your parents for now. But next time, there are much more serious consequences.”

                He left the house. Mr. Quincy pointed a furious finger at me. “You stay away from my son!” he roared. “It’s your fault he ran away!” I snapped and cursed mentally. “Pierce, shut the hell up. Go to your room and I’ll be there in a minute!” dad shouted.

                “Whatever,” I grumbled. I faced Max and gave him a small smile before leaving. I went up to my room and heard my dad talking with the Quincy’s. A while later, my dad entered my room, shaking his head at me.

                “Pierce, you can’t do that! You can’t get in trouble again! They will take you away from me,” he said desperately. I hung my head in shame. “I’m sorry dad. I…He needed to get away. His parents don’t understand.”

                Dad sighed and sat next to me on my bed. He put an arm around my shoulder. “Pierce, it’s got to be hard for them. Max is their only son.” “I’m your only son!” I argued. “And you understood.” He sighed again.

                “I did understand. But the Quincy’s…well, they’re not me.” I shook my head angrily. “They drove Max away and tried to blame it all on me.”

                My dad pulled me closer. “It doesn’t matter Pierce. You have a history. You can’t risk getting in trouble like that. I don’t want to lose you,” he whispered, looking into my eyes.

                I ran a hand through my hair. “I really am sorry dad. I just wanted to help him.” Dad nodded in understanding. “Just don’t risk it. Please Pierce. I am begging you not to get in anymore trouble! I like Max. He’s a great kid. But I don’t like him enough to lose my son.”

                He hugged me tightly and I weakly hugged him back. He was right. I couldn’t get taken away from him. But I wanted to help Max get through everything.

                “Dad, no one will know about this, right?” I asked nervously. “I don’t know Pierce. That officer was a good friend of Mr. Quincy. Maybe it’s just a warning for you. Maybe you’re mom will never know you got in more trouble.”

                I shuddered at the thought of my mother.

                Dad pulled me closer. “I won’t let her get you Pierce. But you have to behave. If you don’t behave, there’s nothing I can do,” he whispered. “She’s a bitch. I hope she burns in hell,” I hissed. Dad nodded. “I know. Believe me, I know. But the court always favors the mother. You got lucky Pierce. Please realize that. You could be with her right now.” I sighed sadly.

                I wouldn’t let that keep me from Max.

                                                                                ***Max’s POV***

                I sat awkwardly in the back of the car as we drove home from Pierce’s house. We pulled into the driveway and I slowly followed my parents inside.

                “That was so immature of you Maxwell! I can’t believe how stupid you are!” dad exploded. I shrank back. “I’m sorry dad,” I squeaked. “Sorry isn’t going to fix anything Maxwell! I can’t believe you actually tried to run away from home! You’re so spoiled and ungrateful!”

                “Calm down!” mom begged dad. He glared in disgust at me. I found myself growing angry inside. How could he say that to me? I straightened up a little. But under the force of his glare, I shrank back again.

                “Leave Max alone,” mom demanded, coming over to me. “Come on Maxwell.” She grabbed my hand and pulled me up to my room.

                “He hates me. He hates me because I’m gay,” I whimpered, burying my face in my hands. “No! He doesn’t hate you Maxwell,” mom whispered. She wrapped her arms around me as Skeeter whimpered at my feet.

                “I’ll go calm him down,” mom promised quietly. She got up and left my room. I curled into a ball on my bed and squeezed my eyes shut. I heard a weird noise and opened my eyes.

                “You going to be okay?” Noah asked softly as he crawled in through my window. He came over to me and I sat up slowly. “No. He hates me Noah. My dad hates me,” I whispered. Noah wrapped his arms around me tightly.

                And for a minute, everything felt alright.