Closets Are For Clothes {9}

***Max’s POV***

                I ran all the way home from school. I was out of breath by the time I threw open the door and slammed it, careful to lock it in case Noah came. I wanted to be alone. Tears softly splashed to the ground.

                “Maxwell.”

                I slowly picked my head up to look at my parents.

                Their expressions were full of pain. “Come here son. Your principal called us,” mom whispered. I slowly followed them. Mom was shaking so bad. She spun a laptop around and my eyes widened. I felt my heart drop.

                “What is this Maxwell?” she begged. “What the hell is this?” It was Pierce and I kissing. That’s what it was. I gulped and felt more tears springing to my eyes. Dammit. Why am I so sensitive to everything?

                “Pierce kissed me,” I lied quietly. “I’m not gay.” I couldn’t do this. I didn’t want to see their expressions if they found out I was gay.

                “Why did he do it?” dad asked quietly, pain in his eyes. I knew he was having trouble accepting my lie. But if he didn’t accept it, that meant he was accepting the fact that his only son was gay.

                “He likes me,” I said, avoiding eye contact. “But I have a crush on a girl.” Lies. All lies. I am nothing more than a liar. I was lying to my mom and dad.

                How sick is that?

                There was a knock on the door and dad glanced at me before going to answer it. “You believe me don’t you mom? I’m not gay!” I said desperately.

                Tears gathered in her eyes. “Of course I believe you Maxwell. But other people might not.” Oh how true that was.

                “GET YOUR ASS AWAY FROM MY HOUSE!”

                Mom and I slowly looked up. I hung my head in shame. Pierce and Owen stood in my doorway looking shocked as dad continued to scream at them. I refused to look up into their concerned eyes. That would only remind me that I had just gotten poor Pierce in trouble. Maybe this was his fault, but that didn’t give me an excuse to make my parents hate him so much.

                “YOU STAY AWAY FROM MY SON!” dad shrieked and slammed the door in their faces. He came back over to mom and I. He looked at me with sad eyes before pulling me in for a hug. “I’m so sorry Maxwell. That bastard shouldn’t have done that to you. We’ll fix everything.”

                Funny. That’s the same promise Pierce had made. How were my parents supposed to fix any of this? Rumors were rumors. They went around and became the truth. Even though, in a way, this was partly truth.

                No, I didn’t like Pierce as more than a friend. But yes, I was gay and would kiss a boy. I had dreamt about kissing Noah before.

                “I don’t want to go to school,” I squeaked. I was terrified to go back. I wasn’t tough like Pierce and Owen. I couldn’t defend myself. I would be beat up for the rest of my high school life if I went back now.

                Mom and dad looked at each other. “Go to your room and read a book, alright sweetie? We’ll talk about it,” mom said with a gentle smile. She kissed my forehead and I made my way up to my room, feeling hopeless. There was no way my parents would just let me skip school. Maybe I could transfer schools?

                I laid on my bed and pulled out a book. I began to read, trying to lose myself for a little. I think it was working. I was starting to drift away from reality into the frighteningly intriguing world of Stephen King.

                “Maxwell!” mom’s voice called. I sighed and checked the time. Wow! I had been reading for almost two hours. I shook my head and made my way downstairs to my parents. They looked up at me and nodded at each other.

                “We have decided that you don’t have to go to school this week while we talk to your principal and try to figure something out to make sure you’re not bullied at school,” mom said. Relief flooded into me. I wasn’t ready to face Pierce or any of my friends at the moment.

                “Thank you,” I whispered. I hugged her tightly. I pulled away and she gave me a small smile. “Maxwell, I’m so sorry this is happening to you,” she said sincerely. I got nervous and shrugged. “It’s not like it’s your fault mom.”

                But she was giving me that overprotective mother look. “Um…I’m going to go read,” I said quietly. “Alright son,” dad said just as quietly. I didn’t look at him. I was afraid I would seem shame in his eyes. I didn’t want to see that.

                I walked away and slowly made my way up the stairs towards my room. I wanted to listen to music that wouldn’t depress me. Maybe I’d put on a bit of The Elders. They always cheered me up.

                I opened the door to find Noah sitting on my bed.