Never

"Come on, Avy, I would never ever like someone like that. Why can't you just give it up?" I ask my friend Avril.

She has been obsessed with this guy, his name is Jacob, and I have to admit he is pretty hot. I would let her go out with him under any other circumstances, but he is best friends with a guy who has been messing with me since Freshman year. If her and Jacob go out and they want their good friends with them, that means I have to be around him.

That's the last thing I want.

"Come on, just because you have a childish fear of freaking sexy-"

"BAD-"

"Gorgeous Parker Adams, doesn't mean I have to avoid his friend. You're holding me down. You have to support me. I would so do it for you and you know it. " She crosses her arms and huffs at me.

I stand there and look at her and think of all the things that could possibly go wrong with either decision. I could lose my friend for "holding her down" or I could allow her to go free and date who her heart truly desires. I decide to go with the last one.

"Fine. " I whisper. "Fine. I still don't agree with this, though. "

"Eee! Thank you so much, Aubrey, you have no idea how much this means to me. Thank you thank you thank you! " Avy squeezes me in a tight hug. "I love you so much right now!"

"Don't you always?"

"Yes, of course, but now I love you even more!"

"Never. I would never go out with this dude you like. " I roll my eyes.

"I would!"

"Disgusting. "

~

The lunch bell rings and I shove through the endless waves of people in the hallway. One after the other. I throw all of my stuff away in my locker and grab my lunch I bought from the local sub shop this morning before school.

"Aubrey..." I turn around and look at Avril's bright red face.

"What's up?" I ask.

"I..." She stops to take a few deep breaths,"I was wondering if you would help me. I told Jacob that if I sit with him at lunch today with you then that means I will be his girlfriend. Would you do it?"

"Is Parker going to be there?"

She hesitates before giving me an answer,"I-yeah...please?"

I sigh. "I guess I already kind of agreed to it, huh?"

I smile at her and she returns my grin.

"Thank you again." Avril says.

She links her shaky arm through mine and we walk together down to the disgusting, putrid, foul cafeteria. I help Avril find Jacob and we sit down at his table, which right now, only has two people. Jacob and Parker.

"Hey, Jacob. " Avy says as we sit down.

He turns around and has a huge grin plastered on his face. He holds out his arms and she runs into them. He wraps his arms around her and she giggles. Disgusting.

"Hey Avy. " He says quietly.

"That's my nickname. Only I can call her that. " I say in a rude voice.

Avril turns around and gives me a look that shoots daggers. If looks could kill, I'd be pulverized and beaten to a human pulp, dead on the floor. I roll my eyes again and sit down next to Parker in the only other chair left at this four-seat table. Angrily, I let out another exaggerated sigh, lean on my right arm, and look the other way.

"Did you guys do it on purpose?" He whispers in my ear.

I refuse to look at him and reply.

"Did you?" He whispers again.

"Do what?" I snap and look at him.

"Become friends because you both have a name that starts with an A. I figured that's what cheerleaders do. They're all stupid and gullible and do dumb stuff like that, so I was just wondering. " He says in a rude voice.

"Excuse me, Mr.Adams, but I have made more A's than you have in all of your life and so has Avril. If you think for one second that you are-"

"I know I'm not smarter than you. I'm as dumb as a box of rocks. I could help it, but I have better things to do. "

"Have fun working as a janitor in this cursed school then. "

"Actually, for your information, I was going to take over my father's multi-million dollar business and whoever I decide to make my girlfriend will take over my mom's. " Parker grins, showing off all of his perfectly white teeth. He probably paid a million dollars just for that. Nobody's teeth are that white after a regular whitening treatment.

I had almost forgotten that Parker came from a family you would consider rich. I don't know how I forgot, he brags about it all. The. Time. God, I really don't like this guy.

"That's right. You're a spoiled brat ".

Something flashes across his face, a look of pain, and then it returns back to his dumbass smirk.

"Waiting to spoil someone. " He winks.

"You're just nasty. " I hold up a hand and shove his shoulder.

"Am I? Then how do I know you'll shiver if I do this?" He leans over and plants a kiss right behind my ear and, like he predicted, I shiver.

"That proves nothing. " I say defiantly. "It's just my natural body response. "

"Yes, well, if I'm nasty...then why didn't you back up after I did that?" He looks over at the arm he has draped around my shoulders.

I jump up from my chair.

"Avril. I'm leaving. I'm sorry, but I just can't take him any more. " I lean down and whisper in her ear.

She looks at me with a surprisingly understanding look before turning back around and laughing at something Jacob said.

I already feel the tears stinging my eyes. Why did she make me go through that? She already knows that Parker is a total pervert around me and he basically just tried to seduce me. I hate feeling like that. Vulnerable and unable to protect myself. A feeling that only Parker has been able to make me feel. I pull on my big grey sweatshirt and run into the bathroom. I sit on the counter and eat the rest of my sub, ignoring the strange looks I get from several people who come in.

I don't know how I'm going to survive the next few years...