Shocks and Stares

I wake up and groan when my alarm clock goes off singing some One Direction song and hit the snooze button. Just five more minutes. Avril spent the night last night because by the time she was doing trying different make up and hair styles on me it was midnight. She doesn't like driving at night either so she texted her parents and they agreed with her.

I hear feet walking towards me in the room, but I keep my eyes closed. Just five more minutes.

"Wake up and smell the coffee, sunshine!" Avril rolls me off of the bed and I bring all of my blankets with me.

"How are you already dressed?"

"Early bird gets the good looks! Now get up!" She shouts.

"You're such a bitch. " I groan again.

"And you love this bitch, don't you? Now get your little bahunka up and get ready. I have to do your make up and flat iron your hair. We have one hour and I have a timed schedule. " She puts her hands on her hips.

"Fine. I'm getting up. " I sit up and rest my head against my bed. Drifting back to sleep....

"OH NO YOU DON'T! I AM DONE PLAYING NICE! GET YOUR ASS UP AND LET'S GO!" I hear Avril shout and then I feel something cold splatter my face and stomach.

"Avril! Really?!" I open my eyes, now wide awake.

"Yes, really. Don't you love waking up with me? Now move it, move it!"

I stand up and walk over to the outfit draped over that wall/shield thingy and change behind it. I can't wait to see the looks on everyone's faces when they see me, Aubrey Summers, gone bad. I'm still going to get good grades, like I said before...I'm going to be perfect all around. No more plain Aubrey. Just interesting Aubrey.

"Are you done dressing?" Avril says from the other side.

"Yes. "

"Come out then. I need to assess you. "

I walk out. She looks at me for a second and she gives me a hug.

"You look beautiful. Just don't change who you are, ok?" She whispers in my ear before pulling away. What is that supposed to mean?

Avril drags me into the bathroom and starts doing my make up. She smears on some maroon lipstick for me and puts some mascara on my eyes. She does a transparent sparkly eyeshadow with a skin tone blush and finishes it all of with some small diamond earrings. Once that's all done she flat irons my hair, which takes like thirty more minutes, leaving me only ten minutes to eat breakfast.

I run downstairs, get me and Avril a pop tart, then run back up. I toss her the pop tart and we both rush to pack all of our stuff and get ready for the school day.

We walk out f the door with my mom saying goodbye from behind us and we start rushing to school. If we don't hurry up we will be late. And now I am reminded as to why I never dress up.

We get to school with two minutes until the bell rings for school to let in. We walk over to Jacob and Parker and they're both looking at me like I'm a completely new person. I look over at Avril who has her arm linked through mine and she gives me a huge, supportive smile.

"Well, look who changed? What happened to you?" Parker asks.

"Not much. Does it look like I'm a different person or something?" I ask, walking over to him and pulling his collar so he can look me in the eyes.

"Y-yeah. You're smoking hot. " He stutters.

"That's...what I like...to hear. " I say. And with each pause I get closer and closer to his lips. "Are you shocked bad boy?"

"No. I mean, well, I don't know. It's a sudden change. " He says.

"I know. " I shove him away and smile back at Jacob and Avril who have an even bigger smile on their faces. "And it looks like I've beaten you at your own game. "

I laugh and walk in to the school since the bell rang, leaving my friends behind me. When I walk in I get a lot of shocked expressions from the people who are in my classes and stares from people I don't know. Do I really look that different? If I had known dressing up would get me noticed I would've done it a while ago...

I unpack all of my stuff and throw it into my locker. I get out my stuff for first, second, and third period and get ready to go. Before I walk to my class I'm stopped by some guy.

"Do I know you?" I ask.

"I'm surprised you don't. I'm surprised I don't know you. " He says.

"So..."

"So I'm Ryan. Ryan Lockheart. I'm the school's varsity football team's linebacker. " Ryan holds out a hand.

"Uh. I have a lot of stuff in my hands I can't really...y'know..." I blush and laugh an awkward laugh.

"Oh, yeah, right. Sorry Aubrey. " He holds up his hands and then tucks one into his pockets, his other arm carrying some books.

"How do you know my name?" I ask him suspiciously.

"I asked Parker, I noticed you talk to him a lot and he is my locker neighbor so I asked what's up with you. " Ryan shrugs and walks with me to my next class. When he walks in with me I give him a weird look.

"We're in the same class. For first period. " Ryan says.

"Oh, really? It's such a huge class, I'm sorry I haven't met you before. I feel so bad now. " I apologize.

"No, no it's ok. I'm surprised you really haven't noticed me. I guess not everyone knows all of the popular people. "

"Yeah. " I nod and find my seat at the front of the class.

"No wonder you never see me. I'm always in the very back while you're in the very front. " He laughs.

"Then sit with me. Please?" I grin at him as he sits down next to me.

We talk for the next five minutes about our weekend plans until the teacher walks in to take attendance. Looks like I've finally found a good guy. I hope Parker doesn't find out.