Chapter 5: Trip to the hairdresser

~Carmen Silvers Point Of View~

-Mature Content- 

“I don’t know why I let you guys talk me into this,” I said, nervously tugging on a stand of my hair.

“Because we threatened to chop off all your hair while you were sleeping,” Kayla said cheerfully, skipping ahead into the salon.

I eyed it warily before I followed Kayla inside with Lena walking behind me.

“Hello!” the cheery, blond receptionist said while she flashed us a bright smile.

“Hi,” Kayla said.

“Do you have an appointment?” the receptionist asked.

“Yes, under the name Carmen Silver,” Kayla said, and we all waited patiently while she flipped through her book.

“Ah! Here it is. Alright Mrs. Silver, Antoine should be finished in about five minutes, so feel free to take a seat in the waiting room,” she said, pointing to a small room off the main area where people were getting their hair cut with one perfectly manicured, slim finger. We all walked off to go sit in the tiny room.

“Who’s Antoine again?” I asked, biting my lip as I chewed my lip.

Kayla rolled her eyes, “He’s my usual hairdresser and a family friend.”

Lena patted my hand, “You’re getting your hair cut not limbs,” she said, looking slightly amused, “Relax.”

I fidgeted in my seat; I hated getting my hair cut. I was always afraid the hairdresser would screw up and I’d look like an idiot until my hair grew out again or something. Besides, I like my long hair.

“Seriously, Carmen, Antoine is one of the best hairdressers around, I think you can trust him with your hair,” Kayla said, making a face at me before she glanced down and blinked.

“What?” I asked self-consciously.

She leaned forward, squinting, “Where’d you get that? It’s really pretty.”

I looked down and saw the moon pendant hanging in front of my chest. I’d pulled it out so it was on top of my tee-shirt. I couldn’t wear a turtleneck since it’d be hard to get my hair cut if I was wearing a turtleneck so I stole some of Lily's makeup and covered it up…hopefully it wouldn’t come off.

I pursed my lips and offered no response, not like I could have anyways. A petite woman came and called my name. I got up and Kayla followed me. The woman said hello to Kayla before she led us to an empty chair.

I took a deep breath as I sat in the chair, sinking into the plushy cushion. She bent me over and washed my hair while she chatted with Kayla, and once she was finished she wrapped my hair in a towel and directed me to a chair in front of the mirror. She disappeared and a moment later a middle-aged man appeared.

He flashed me a warm smile, “You’re Carmen right?”

I nodded mutely, giving him a tight smile.

“So what am I doing for you today?” he said, spinning my chair around once quickly before he stopped it abruptly, my chair facing the mirror perfectly. He undid the towel and my wet hair fell across my shoulders.

“Ask Kayla,” I shrugged, and I listened carefully while she explained the cut and style. Thankfully for me, she was letting me keep my long hair…it was just going to be layered and styled better.

Antoine pursed his lips thoughtfully as he went around, picking up my strands of hair, examining them carefully before letting them fall back down again.