Chapter 15: Misery Loves Company

By the time it hit noon, my phone had already rung several times and buzzed several times as well. I didn't check it though; I was too busy doing mindless tasks like laundry, washing dishes, cleaning the entire house, organizing my closet and such.

When school was over, I heard Lily come into the house along with a bunch of other people, they're voices so familiar that I just wanted to leap out my window and run away so I wouldn't have to face them and lie to them again.

I heard them coming up the stairs and then Lily saying not to bother me too much since I was really sick. My pack knew better; I couldn't get sick so obviously they knew something bad had happened.

There was a hesitant knock on the door, "Carmen?" I heard Matt call softly, "It's us."

"Come in," I said, deadpan.

The door opened slowly, creaking before Matt, Lena, Kayla and Liam all filed in with Matt closing the door behind them.

"Honey, what happened?" Mirah asked, sitting next to me on my bed. She stiffened after a moment and I saw her inhaling deeply.

Even though I did a whole bunch of chores today, I couldn't bring myself to change the sheets on my bed; it was my only reminder of Austint now with his scent that clung to every fibre of it.

No one said anything for a moment; though even I knew they all knew that Austin had been here even though they didn't know the reason why.

"I don't know," I said quietly, finally answering Kayla's question.

"What?" Liam asked, confused.

"I don't know what happened," I said quietly, slowly.

"Why did you miss school today?" Kayla asked softly, hugging me.

I looked straight ahead, not hugging back, "Because I didn't want too."

"Why?" Matt asked.

"I just...I couldn't deal with it today," I said, squeezing my eyes shut so I wouldn't have to see their faces anymore.

"Alex asked about you," Lena said after a moment, "He wants to talk to you."

I nodded mutely.

"Carmen, come on. It can't be that bad," Liam said, and I heard his voice getting closer. I opened my eyes as he slid onto my bed, pulling me away from Lena and Kayla and into his lap, cradling me against his chest.

"Not that bad?" I said bitterly, "Its worse."

Losing my soul mate to the psycho demon who tried to kill me twice already who just possessed him?

'Not bad' would be the understatement of the year.

"What happened?" Matt asked quietly, sliding onto my bed as well so everyone was now sitting around me while I sat in Liam's lap.