Chapter 23: Feeling

-Carmen Silvers POV-

"Alex? Can I ask you something?" I asked cautiously as I sat down next to him. Seeing Austin at school this morning after our goodbye in my bedroom was dreadful.

"Sure," he said, his fingers pausing over the piano keys.

"Um...you didn't look to surprised about Austin and I....and I was just wondering why that was," I said carefully.

"Well, like I've told you before I knew you two cared about each other," he said, chuckling, "I just didn't quite know to what degree."

"Besides, it seems whenever there was trouble you two were always together when something happened," he added thoughtfully. "Also, when you two were kissing during Spin the Bottle...well I could feel it."

"Feel it?" I questioned, frowning.

"Yes, I felt something when you two were kissing. I may not have been able to see it, but if I had my eyes would have been telling me the same thing," he said, smiling.

"Felt something? What was the something?" I asked.

"Love," he said simply, "It sounds strange but being a vampire...you can sometimes smell how a person is feeling. My senses are much more prominent to make up for my lack of sight and when you two were kissing I could smell it and feel it."

"Feel love?" I mused.

"Yes, that's why people close their eyes when they kiss and such; you feel love not see it," he said softly.

I looked down at my hands, smiling slightly, "You know, for a guy you're pretty darn smart when it comes to romance and stuff."

"Why thank you," he said, sticking his tongue out at me.

"Do you know why Austin told you about us though?" I asked, running my finger along the ebony keys, "I was going to ask him last night but we...got distracted."

"I'm sure you did," he chuckled, "But I don't want to hear about it."

He suddenly sobered, hesitating as he pursed his lips for a moment before he answered my question, "He wanted me to know because he trusts me to take care of you in case anything were to happen to him like if he..." he trailed off, cringing.

"Like if he wasn't around anymore?" I whispered.

Alex nodded, bowing his head, "I tried to tell him that things would be fine, that he'd be around to protect you but...he didn't agree. He finally gave up and told me to watch you 'just in case' something happened to him," he said quietly.

"I know you don't want to be protected, but I told him I would take care of you anyways to ease his mind," he shook his head, "He doesn't need to be worrying about anything else that isn't necessary when he has so much on his plate already."

"Thanks Alex," I said softly, swallowing hard, "I'll try not to be too much trouble."

He smiled, "Somehow I think even if you don't try to be trouble, you'll still get stuck in trouble anyways."

I chuckled, "Probably. But that's not my fault."

"Maybe not, maybe you just have bad luck," Alex shrugged.

"Well, a mirror did break in the bathroom during the Winter Dance...and the night after my bathroom mirror broke too," I said, scrunching my face up, "But then again, Caleb broke both mirrors so wouldn't that mean he had bad luck not me?"

"I don't know, I don't specialize in the supernatural and superstitions," he said.

"Yeah, nothing supernatural going on here," I teased.