Chapter 33: Love and Loss

-Carmen Silvers POv-

A wind brushed my skin and ruffled my hair and I groaned.

Surely I couldn't be dead, being dead shouldn't hurt this much.

I groaned again and shifted my weight, trying to bring my arms under me but they trembled, too weak to support my weight. With a grunt I struggled to pull myself up so I was sitting since the snow felt cold on my skin. I didn't feel cold though, it just wasn't comfortable.

After a few minutes of struggling I finally sat up, pain running through my legs as I sat on them. I winced and tried to change position but I was so tired and my hands were shaking.

A soft wind blew, bringing with it a scent that I recognized. My senses suddenly seemed to awaken and I blinked, hearing things from far away easily that I never could have dreamed, smelling things that the breeze brought in from a long distance.

I let myself get lost in all the smells, eyes closing as I breathed, the smell of the forest, of snow, of earth, of vampire.

My eyes flashed open as a memory rushed through my brain. I looked down and a few feet away lay a body, a body I recognized.

I clapped a hand over my mouth to smother my scream and scrambled forward awkwardly on all fours since I didn't trust myself to stand.

"No," I whispered, putting my hand on his chest. I leaned my head down to his bloody chest, knowing it was a useless effort but trying anyways, but I couldn't hear a heart beat. Red blood flowed over the black, staining the ripped white shirt that hung in tatters, unable to cover the gashes in his chest.

"Austin?" I whispered shakily, "Austin please," I touched his cheek, turning his head to me. His skin felt like ice and his face was oddly peaceful, an expression I hadn't seen in over a month.

"You can't go," I said, feeling a sob rise, "You can't leave me, not after all of this, you just can't."

Tears rolled down my cheeks and my body shook as I picked up his limp body, cradling his head as I pulled him into my lap, rocking us back and forth in attempt to calm down even though I felt like I was losing my mind.

"I'm so sorry," I sobbed, looking down at his serene face, "This is all my fault."

"God damn it Austin don't leave!" I shouted.

I felt a shift in my arms and I froze, not daring to believe it for a second. And then again but this time with a mumble type of sound.

My eyes were wide as I stared down at Austin's body in my bloody arms, still unbelieving.

I saw his lips move the slightest bit and his head turned, eyes squeezing shut, peaceful expression shattered.

"Austin?" I asked, by voice barely above a whisper.

He mumbled something else that I couldn't quite catch, and with my werewolf hearing that was a bit of a surprise.

"Austin are you okay?" I asked uncertainly. Was this a trick? An illusion that my mind had come up with to make myself feel better?

"Don't curse," he mumbled.

I gaped at him.

His eyes opened for a second before they slipped shut again. But I caught that familiar flash of silver and relief washed over me like a tidal wave.

"Austin! You're okay!" I cried, holding him tightly against me.

"Of course I'm okay," he said wryly, his eyes opening again. He blinked a few times, eyes narrowing, "But I feel like I have a major hangover."