Chapter 8: Unease

~Carmen Silvers POV~ 

“When you change into a full vampire…will you have a reflection?” I asked Austin curiously.

One corner of his mouth lifted up in a half-smile, “Yes,” he said.

“Damn, another myth shot to hell,” I frowned as I turned my attention back to the TV where Van Helsing was playing. At the moment, we were at the part when it’s the masquerade ball and Anna was dancing with Dracula. He just dipped her in front of a mirror and she was the only person that reflected back; everyone else at the ball didn’t meaning they were vampires.

About a minute later, “And no I will not grow fangs and my eyes will not change color if I try to bite somebody,” he said.

I chuckled, “How’d you know I was going to ask?” I questioned, eyeing Dracula who was going to attempt to bite Anna.

I felt him shrug, “I had a hunch.”

********

“She dies!” Austin exclaimed, “Why the hell does she die? Why is this your favourite movie?”

I laughed, “Because it’s just…awesome.”

“But she dies,” he said, widening his eyes at me.

“Yes, Austin, I know she dies,” I said, rolling my eyes, “It’s still a good movie…although apparently very inaccurate.”

He made a face at me, “Don’t you like movies with happy endings?”

I shrugged, “Sometimes I do, but sometimes it’s nice that they show that not everyone gets a happy ending. It keeps things realistic and that’s how I like it.”

“Oh yeah, because a movie about Frankenstein, Dracula and werewolves is really realistic,” he said sarcastically.

I arched an eyebrow at him as I hit the stop button on the remote.

“I mean like…it’s not realistic to humans and frankly not to us either. I mean, look at how much isn’t true,” he said sheepishly, gesturing at my TV.

I chuckled, “Why are you so upset about it? It’s just a movie. Besides, it came out way before you even knew you were a vampire,” I pointed out as I pulled out of his arms to put the movie away.

“I’m not upset,” he protested, “I’m just saying.”

“Yeah, sure,” I rolled my eyes, turning off the DVD machine and TV as I put the movie away.

“So what now?” he asked, ignoring my sarcastic reply in favour of stretching and yawning.

I shrugged, “I don’t know about you but I’ve got homework that’s due tomorrow.”