Chapter 23: Dan and Phil

The bomb didn't explode.

Phil opened his eyes. Dan continued to lay on the ground. "We did it..." Phil said to Dan. Dan didn't respond. Lester concluded he was unconscious again. With all of his strength, he got up onto his shaky legs and walked over to Dan. "Dan..." He sighed, then collapsed on the ground. Dan opened his eyes a little bit. He stared at Phil. "By your side is where I wanna be." Phil said just like Dan had done back in the apartment. Howell closed his eyes. They lay in silence.

No one was around to bother them. The grey sky was peaceful. No cars came down the street after the quick evacuation. The only thing they could hear was the panting of each other. Dan opened his eyes to look at Phil. They were not the same men they were a week ago. He wondered if they would be the same men ever again. Phil returned this look. They were silent. "I'm so glad we met." Phil chuckled. Dan laughed too, but was interrupted by himself coughing. "The GETA has more plans, you know." Dan spoke with a raspy voice. Phil blinked a couple of times then sighed.
"I know." He said. He bit his lip and held onto his leg.
"Is your leg okay?" Dan asked.
"I feel like a lion with rabies bit it and now it's mutating." Phil replied with teary eyes. He held them back, though.
"We will find something proper to help it." Dan whispered. There was a silence again. The wind and traffic could be heard in the background. This silence was a long one, but it was the sort of silence Dan Howell and Phil Lester longed for.

The two were known by official forces now. They were known by the GETA, the police, and whoever Rachel might be. They were scared of the couple. Phil was as free as air and Dan was as cold as ice.

Police sirens broke this silence. They were heard in the long distance. "We know what those are for." Dan coughed.
"Let's get out of here." Phil whispered.
"To Germany?" Dan asked with a hoarse voice. Phil's sweat dripped onto the wet London road.

"To Germany." He said.

[END OF PART ONE]