Chapter 1: The Return of Professor Callaghan

The town of San Fransokyo.

What it was is pretty simple: the city of San Francisco, a city of culture, combined with the energy of Tokyo, the capital city of Japan. It was a fascinating mash-up of culture, history, and modern technology.

The city was under the protection of a group of 6 armoured heroes, called Big Hero 6.

Who was Big Hero 6, you ask? Well, no one in San Fransokyo knows their identities. But I'll tell you who they are.

There was...

Wasabi, A germophobe teen with a distinct hatred of dirt, and [perfectly clean] plasma cutter blades to slice through evil.

GoGo Tomago, a girl who was as tough as Spinelli from Recess, but also fast as she was clever and fearless, complete with her levitating wheel discs.

Honey Lemon, a chemistry enthusiast girl, who uses a purse full of chemical capsules as her weapon.

Fred, a teen with a huge mansion, and a huge love of comic books, superheroes, monsters, etc. [Also has a familiar Marvel comic book writer as his dad!] His suit: a blue & orange Kaiju monster suit, complete with a flamethrower and super jump capability.

Baymax, a healthcare companion robot, also able to wear special armour that allowed him the power of flight and delivering justice to criminals.

And last, but not least, Hiro Hamada, a robotics genius teen with smarts in his body, and his purple armour.

Night & day, these 6 heroes defended San Fransokyo from crime, wherever it was found in the historical and vibrant neon jungle.

But, how did Big Hero 6 first form, how you ask?

Well, to answer that question, we have to go back, back, to.... approximately 2 months ago...

[WARNING: SPOILERS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS NOT SEEN THE FILM]

Hiro Hamada, raised by his aunt Cass and his older brother Tadashi, after the death of his parents, mostly spent his time participating in illegal robot fights. To redirect him, Tadashi took him to the robotics center at his university, the San Fransokyo institute of Technology, where Hiro met Honey, Wasabi, Fred, GoGo and Baymax, Tadashi's invention: a healthcare robot.

Seeing that inspired Hiro to create an invention of his own: microbots, tiny robots that could form any shape imaginable, controlled via a transmitter. Then, at a demonstration at the university's showcase, everyone was impressed, including Professor Callaghan, the head professor of the robotics program, and Alistair Krei, the president of Krei Tech. Krei offered to buy the microbots from Hiro, but after warnings from Callaghan, Hiro declined.

But suddenly that night, everything changed. A fire started in the university, and Tadashi got word that Callaghan was still in the building, so he ran in to save him, but a moment later, the building exploded, killing Tadashi.

Hiro was so upset about his brother's death, he stayed far away from society, until one day, he inadvertently activated Baymax, who followed one of the remaining microbots to an old warehouse, where they discovered more being created. Suddenly a man wearing a kabuki mask attacked them, but they escaped. Hiro decided to program fighting techniques into Baymax and fit him up with armour and they followed the masked man to the docks, only to be ambushed by his friends – and the masked figure. 

They managed to escape to Fred's manor, and there, Hiro got the idea to make himself, Baymax, and his friends superhero suits, so they could find the masked man, believing him to be Krei. Baymax tracked him to Akuma Island, an abandoned Krei Tech lab that was once researching teleportation wormhole technology, until a test pilot was lost in an accident. They found the masked man, but despite a few slip-ups, Hiro got the mask off of him, and the team got a big shock when they saw who the masked person was – it was Professor Callaghan!