Chapter 22: The Humble Professor

Later that evening, after the team had gone home and to bed, Callaghan sat on his bed in concern and then he glanced up at a mirror. On it was himself dressed as Yokai, minus the kabuki mask, and he was glaring at him.

"Hello, old friend." He said to his reflection. "I must assist Hiro Hamada, and I cannot bring you with me."

The reflection glared coldly at him. "You are nothing but my weaker side. Hiro defeated us, locked us up in prison, and even threatened to destroy us! and he humiliated us! This is your chance for revenge!"

"I am no longer the villain I once was." Callaghan stated to his reflection. "I now walk the path of humility."

"Humility cost you your daughter!" the reflection shouted. "Kill Hiro Hamada, just like we did to his brother!"

Robert felt his mind get twisted. No action could be takin till he was in unison with his former villainous self.

"No." Robert said firmly.

"What?" his reflection said.

"You heard me." Robert said firmly. "As I stated before, I am no longer the villain I once was. Hiro taught me a harsh, but well-deserved lesson in humility. We have killed his brother Tadashi, yet, Hiro still trusts us."

"What good will that do?" his reflection said coldly. "You wanted revenge on Krei for what you thought he did to your daughter, and you could do it again! Kill Hiro now!"

"Never." Callaghan said crossly. "Only by combining my strength with yours, together, we will become the father that Abigail needs."

His reflection stared incredulously. "You mean, through cooperation, we could save San Fransokyo from destruction?"

Callaghan nodded. "If strength were all that mattered, Langstrom Krei would be an ideal uncle for my daughter." He ran a hand over the sole of his foot. "But we were foolish to put our trust in him. He used us like a puppet to lure Hiro & his friends into a trap." He glanced down at his feet, as his toes wriggled and flexed like worms. "And once we'd served our purpose to him, he would cut our strings."

The reflection stared, then sighed. "Very well. Hiro may live." Then the reflection faded till Callaghan saw the reflection of him sitting on the bed.

Callaghan got himself into bed and grinned. "I will be the stronger person, Abigail." he whispered to himself as he drifted off to sleep.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Callaghan is now totally humble.

Now he can right the wrongs he's done, and get the redemption he rightfully deserves.

This is a reference to a bit in Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves, when the Panda King convinced his former evil side to unite with his current self to help Sly Cooper defeat General Tsao and recover his daughter Jing King.

FUN FACT: In early development of this fanfic, I originally intended Callaghan to still be evil, and be the one who manipulated the team into getting the crown, and use the crown to get revenge on them for what happened in the film. But when I saw how remorseful he looked at the end when he was arrested, I thought it'd be better if he reformed and helped Hiro & his friends instead.

ANYWAY, the next chapter will be up soon... I hope.