Chapter 6

Chapter 6

"Artemis," Dad said, walking into the dining room where I was eating an after school-snack. "One of my co-workers was talking about a nearby karate dojo for children and they're looking for another instructor. You should go check out the dojo."

I thought for a bit. "I don't know. I'm still new to the city and I want to focus on school first."

"You could still check it out," Dad said. "I know how hard it was for you to leave your students when we moved, so maybe becoming an instructor in another dojo will help."

"Maybe I'll check it out," I said. "Where is it?"

"You know the bakery about a ten minute walk from here?" Dad asked and I nodded. "It's the building right beside it."

"Got it," I said. "I'll check it out later today. Possibly when I'm done my snack." I didn't have any homework, so I might as well check it out today.

I finished my snack and put my plate in the sink before going to the front door and putting on my shoes and hoodie. I told my dad I was leaving before heading out the door and walking in the direction of the bakery.

It felt nice going for a walk, even one that was just ten minutes.

However, the satisfied feeling soon faded when I saw a person leaning against the outside wall of the dojo. Seb looked at me and scoffed. "Great," he said, a cigarette held in his hand. "I can never get enough of you."

"And the moodiness is back," I said.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I came to check out the dojo," I said. "Apparently, they're looking for another instructor."

"Yeah, we are," Seb said.

"Wait, we?" I asked.

Seb gave me a smirk. "I'm an instructor here so unless you want to put up with me, I suggest you go back home."

That sounded like a challenge to me.

Challenge accepted.

I crossed my arms and stepped towards him. "I think I'm able to put up with you."

Seb chuckled and took a step towards me, making the space between us even smaller. The smell of his cigarette was burning my nose, but I couldn't move away. I had to show him that I could, in fact, put up with him.

"Well, then if you really want to, I can see if you'll get the job as an instructor," he said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. He hated being near me, yet he said he would see if I could become an instructor in the dojo. "What's in it for you?" I asked. There had to be something.

"Nothing," Seb said. "Just the satisfaction of watching you attempt to be an instructor."

"I'll have you know that I was an instructor before I moved back here," I said.

"Oh, congratulations," Seb said sarcastically. "You must be proud. Do you want a trophy? Or a cookie?"

"Are you always this big of a jerk?" I asked.

"Ever since you moved away," Seb said.

"So you're not going to get over it?" I asked.

"Never."

I scoffed. "Great."

"So, what's it going to be?" Seb asked, dropping his cigarette on the ground and crushing it with his foot. "You want to be an instructor or not?"

I stared at him for a bit, trying to make a decision. I had a feeling there was more to me being an instructor seeing as Seb didn't mind if I became one in the dojo he was an instructor in. However, I wasn't going to back down.

"Yeah," I said. "I do."

"I'll talk to the owner then," Seb said.

"Cool," I said.

"Cool," Seb said. "Now get out of my face."

"Oh, and here I thought we were actually going to hang out," I said sarcastically. "You know, go back to being BFFs like we were before. Oh, wait. I forgot. We can't because someone won't get over it."

Seb glared at me. "That's because you left me to get..." He stopped mid-sentence, something he did before with those exact same words.

"I left you to get what?" I asked. When he didn't answer, I continued. "You're blaming me about something? Maybe you should tell me exactly what I so-called did so I'll know why you're not forgiving me." He still didn't reply, so I scoffed. "Exactly. Stop blaming me. Like I said, I apologized. Why can't you get over it?"

"Why?" he repeated. "Because you left me, that's why. You knew what I was like. I was that kid that never fit in. I was that kid that was so pessimistic that nobody wanted to know. I was the kid that was always so alone until I met you. You were the only one who even thought about talking to me and after finding out what I was like, you still wanted to be my friend. You were there for me whenever I was upset about something. You always made me feel better after I was sad and even told me that life might be filled with disappointments, but there are also great surprises. But then... But then, get this. You left. Left. Without telling me. You moved halfway across the state and..."

I couldn't help it anymore. I wrapped my arms around him and dug my face in his chest, not even caring if he hugged me back or not. "I'm so sorry," I said softly, a few tears threatening to spill. "So sorry."

I hurt him in ways I didn't know. I thought he was just mad that his best friend moved away, but it wasn't just because of that. It was because I made him feel alone. I wasn't there for him whenever he was upset.

Then Seb did something I did not expect at all.

He hugged me back, wrapping his arms tightly around my waist as he rested his chin on my forehead.

After a few more moments, Seb pulled away, using his hand to wipe away the tears around my eyes. "I don't like seeing you cry," he told me.

"I'm just really sorry," I said. "I didn't know me leaving would affect you so much."

"I know," Seb said. "Look, I'm going to take the risk, alright?"

"What risk?" I asked.

"Of forgiving you," he said.

"But you said you never would."

"Do you want me to forgive you or not?" he asked. "I'll forgive you, okay? But if you ever do something like that again, if you ever hurt me in such a way, I'm out. And I for sure won't forgive you again. Got it?"

I nodded, giving him a thin smile. "Yeah. Got it."

_____________

Yay, Seb forgave Arite. cx I know it may seem like he forgave her too fast, but there is a lot more that's going to happen that will make sense of all that.

The picture above is of Tanya.