Chapter 16

Chapter 16

       "Come on, Artie," Seb said as he eyed the food sitting in front of me. "Just one?"

       "No," I said. "These are my fries and I want to eat every single one. You're not getting any."

       Seb looked back and forth between me and my fries before snatching one and quickly shoving it into his mouth.

       "Seb!" I exclaimed. "That was my fry!"

       Seb furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me, confused. "What are you talking about, Artie? I didn't take any fries."

       "Yes, you did!" I said. "You ate one of my fries and now I'm mad." I got up from my seat and sat across the table, right beside Dax. "I'm not talking to you anymore."

       Seb snorted. "Sure, Artie. Pretty soon, you're going to be talking to me again."

       I ignored him as I began eating my lunch. For the past couple days, it had been a bit hard to sit beside him for too long, so I normally found an excuse to sit somewhere else. I hated that I had a crush on him. I was sure I liked him more than I had ever liked Ty, but I doubt Seb even liked me back.

       Seb tried talking to me, but I continued ignoring him for two reasons. One, because I really was mad that he ate one of my fries. And two, because I sometimes was tongue-tied around him and I stuttered a lot.

       "Aww, she's actually ignoring me," Seb said. "What do you think, Dax? You think it's going to last?"

       Dax looked at Seb, then me, then Seb again before he snorted and shook his head. "You two crack me up," he said.

       "How so?" I asked.

       "You mean..." He stopped himself short. "Nothing, nothing at all. But, Seb, I do think she can stay mad at you."

       Seb chuckled. "Yeah, right. We'll see about that."

       Dax suddenly picked up his bag and began digging through it before sighing. "Seb, I-I think I left my earphones in my locker."

       "I'll get them," Seb said before standing up and walking out of the cafeteria.

       Dax snorted a laugh, muttering, "Sucker," before pulling his earphones out of his bag. "Why did you lie to him?" I asked.

       "To get him to leave," Dax said. "I have to talk to you."

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "And you couldn't have done that with him here?"

       "Definitely not," he said. "I have a question for you, Artemis. How long have you liked my brother?"

       I immediately avoided his eye contact. "I don't know what you're talking about," I lied.

       "Uh huh. Artemis, come on, I can tell. You're constantly finding excuses not to sit beside him, you blush all the time whenever you two make contact, and there were a few times where you stuttered."

       I sighed and dug my face into my hands. "Please don't tell him," I begged.

       "But he..." Dax stopped himself.

       "He what?" I asked, taking the chance to look at Dax.

       "Nothing," Dax said. "Don't worry, your secret is safe with me."

       "So you're not going to tell Seb?" I asked.

       Dax shook his head. "No, of course not. Sure, he's my brother and I tell him everything, but I definitely won't tell him that you like him if you feel like you're not ready. But, you should at least consider it."