Chapter 39

Chapter 39

       "Are you sure you don't want us to come?" I asked Ty as he threw on his sweater.

       "There's no point in you missing school," Ty said. "I still don't get why it's being held today and not on the weekend. But don't worry. I'll be fine."

       I gave him a faint smile before giving him a hug. Not even three seconds later, Seb cleared his throat. "I hate to be a downer, but three seconds is the limit," he said. 

       I rolled my eyes and pulled away from Ty. "Do you want me to get your homework for you?" I asked Ty.

       "I'd rather not have any homework today," Ty said. "I probably won't be in the mood when I get home. And speaking of, I should be going." He gave me and Seb a small smile before leaving the house.

       "Think he'll be okay?" I asked Seb.

       "You've been asking that almost every single day since Ty told us his father was sick," Seb said.

       "I know, but it's different now," I said.

       Seb sighed. "I think... It will take him some time, but he'll be okay in the end. In the meantime, we should be heading off to school. I'll get Sara to drop us off if you get Dax from his room."

       I nodded before heading up the stairs to Dax's room. Both my parents had to be somewhere early in the morning and I didn't have my license, so Sara was going to drop me off with Seb and Dax.

       Dax was hanging upside down on his bed, listening to music. And that was not the first time I caught him like that. He was so weird at times. "Dax, we have to go to school now," I said.

       Dax looked at me, still hanging upside down. "Do I have to go?" he asked. "I don't feel like going."

       "Do you ever want to go?" I asked.

       "Normally, I don't mind, but I don't want to go today," he said. "Can you tell Seb or Sara that I don't want to go?"

       I furrowed my eyebrows. "Is everything okay?"

       "I'm fine, I just don't want to go," Dax said. I knew he wasn't fine at all, but at times it was best not to question Dax when he wasn't acting like himself.

       "Okay, I'll tell them," I said before going back downstairs. Since Seb was the first one I saw, I decided to tell him. "Dax told me that he doesn't want to go to school today."

       Seb stared at me for a bit before going upstairs, to talk to Dax I guess. It wasn't long before Seb came back downstairs, with Dax. Sara was by the front door, helping Gemma get ready. "Sara, are you working today?" Seb asked.

       "No, why?" she asked.

       "Would it be okay if Dax stays home today?" Seb asked.

       "Yeah, sure," Sara said, not even questioning it. I thought it was a bit odd, but then again, there was so much going on with Dax, so if he wanted to stay home, there was a reason.

       "I'll still come to drop you guys off," Dax said quietly.

       We went outside to Sara's car and got in. Seb sat in the passenger seat since I knew that Dax didn't like sitting in the front seat. It took me a while to figure it out, but I soon realized that he always sat in the back, even if I asked if he wanted to be a passenger. Then I remembered about the car crash and how he was in the front.

       Sara dropped off Gemma at her school first before taking me and Seb to the high school. When we got there, we thanked her for dropping us off before getting out of the car. Seb intertwined my hand in his and we walked into the school.