Chapter 28

Chapter 28

       While I was doing my homework on Friday night, my cell phone started ringing. I looked at the caller id, seeing that it was Dax. "Hello?" I said once I answered it.

       "Artemis, I kind of need your help," Dax said. "It's Seb."

       "Is everything okay?" I asked.

       "Well, kind of," he said. "I really, really hate to ask, but do you have about fifty dollars?"

       I raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

       "I have to bail my stupid brother out of jail again," Dax said.

       "Seb was arrested?" I asked. "Wait, again? He's been arrested more than once?"

       Dax sighed. "Yeah. He gets in trouble a lot, either fights or vandalism. I usually have enough money to bail him out, but I'm short fifty dollars. I'm really sorry to ask you."

       "Hold on a second," I said, getting my wallet from my school bag. After checking inside, I picked up my cell phone inside. "Yeah, I have the money. But I have to come to bail him out, too."

       "Okay," Dax said. "Thank you, Artemis. Again, I'm so sorry for asking."

       "Dax, don't worry about it," I said. "I'll meet you outside, okay?" 

       When we hung up, I grabbed my sweater and pulled it over my head before putting my cell phone and wallet in my pocket. Both of my parents were out, so luckily I didn't have to tell them where I was going. I knew they liked Seb a lot, but I didn't really know how they would react if they found out he was arrested.

       Grabbing my house keys hanging on the hook beside the door, I walked outside and locked the door behind me. Dax was waiting outside, his hands in his sweater's front pocket. "I hope you don't mind walking to the police station," Dax said. "I would take Seb's motorcycle, but then there would be three of us on the way back and we wouldn't fit. And I don't like driving t anymore. I'm fine riding on it, just not driving it."

       "Wait, you know how to drive his motorcycle?" I asked.

       "I kind of learned when I was thirteen," he said as we started walking to the police station. It was probably a half hour walk. "Yes, it wasn't legal for me to drive, but I still learned. But, ever since the, um, car accident, I haven't brought myself to drive it."

       "It must be hard," I said. 

       "Yeah, it is," he said. "Seb has been trying to convince me to get my driver's permit, but I can't. So, on an unrelated note, are you mad at Seb?"

       "For what?" I asked. I didn't think I was mad at Seb. Should I be mad at him?

       "Getting arrested," Dax said. "Needing bail money."

       "Should I be mad?" I asked. "What exactly did he do to get arrested?"

       Dax sighed. "He got into a fight."

       "That's it?" I asked. "Just a fight?"

       "People can get arrested for fighting," Dax said. "And since both he and the guy he fought is known to get in trouble, they got arrested."

       "Who did he get in a fight with?" I asked. "Wait, let me guess. Ty?"

       "Yeah," Dax said. "They fight a lot, even over the littlest things. But I don't blame Seb for wanting to fight Ty. He's a jerk, which says something because I usually see the good in people."